Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 9 months ago

I need a second opinion, what would you go to court to challenge this ticket (PLEASE READ BEFORE SIDING WITH COP)?

I was parking, so my mom went to the machine to pay and she told me she saw the parking enforcement officer look at her and when he went in to eat, I left the receipt on the window inside the car.

Shes a senior, so she has problems and claims the machine didn’t ask her for my license plate.

When I asked the officer what the ticket is for, he said you put the wrong plate. I have evidence that I paid the meter, can I challenge this?

Did you get a ticket for not having the correct receipt on your car or one for not paying the parking fee.

If its for not paying the fee I think you have a good complaint.

You would need to bring your mum to explain that she operated the machine for you.

If the ticket is for not having the plate on the receipt. That would be harder to win as you have already acknowledged it was not there. .

The ticket was appropriately issued. Not all seniors are incompetent at reading. Your mom did not punch in what car she was paying to have parked. It's up to the judge but, the ticket WAS appropriately issued.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.

Challenge it. The meter maid won't show up.

you could talk to a lawyer about it

Here's why you have to put in the plate number. I could pay for parking and get a receipt, and then when I'm leaving before my time is up, I can give the paper to someone else to put in their window. That's why the plate number has to match. I do think that if you go to court and explain that your mother didn't know she had to put in the number, they'll dismiss the ticket.

• Not

Plate numbers are still pointless since even if you hand over the receipt to someone else when you leave, the parking spot is still paid for.

• Edwena

Yes, if it was a mixup with a logical explanation, then it can be straightened out. Just be sure you do a good job explaining how it happened. The cop has to follow the law and did the job correctly. The purpose of the court is to be sure the law is applied fairly. So don't bad mouth the cop. He did his job.

• ricky

So you put the WRONG plate? You said you didn’t know you were suppose to put down the plate. How can the cop say you put the wrong plate, when you didn’t put down any plate?

Wait long as legally allowed and finally agree to go to court and get a court date.

Than postpone the court date as many times as long as you can.

Finally show up for court and hope the officer does not show up and your case will be dismissed.

• Not

Yes, the parking meter is there to prevent people from parking who doesn't pay.

You did pay, so you shouldn't get a ticket.

The plate number is irrelevant.

I would probably challenge it. I don't like when they ask for your plate #. I'm worried I'll have a typo and end up in your situation.