Smoke coming from AC vent that smells like burning?

Hi, so today I was driving my new car (bought it four days ago) though the country side of Texas when I noticed that smoke was coming from my air vents on the dash. It had a smell sort of like asphalt or burning rubber. I immediately pulled over, having experiences of cars catching fire in the past, that's what... show more Hi, so today I was driving my new car (bought it four days ago) though the country side of Texas when I noticed that smoke was coming from my air vents on the dash. It had a smell sort of like asphalt or burning rubber.
I immediately pulled over, having experiences of cars catching fire in the past, that's what I thought this was. But after checking, nothing, so I relunctantly kept driving. This continued to happen periodically on my drive, lasting about 5 seconds, at the most, and then disappearing.

I've been looking around online, but haven't found any answers for anything with my circumstances. The smell was not sweet, nor was it oderless, so I don't think it was condensation or coolant. I will add though, it was pretty humid and around 85 degree.

Any ideas for what this could be? I'm really hoping this isn't anything major as I just spent most of my money on buying the car :-/ If it helps, it's a 1998 Volvo S70. I know it's old, but in really good condition.