Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 4 months ago

Why is there no emphasis placed on apartment living in America?

Growing up in New York City, I would always watch those House Hunter Shows where they show a family with some young kids, and they would always tour 3 different 5 bedroom houses with massive backyards and a 3 car driveway, ect. I always felt a little disappointed that they never featured any apartments on these shows, and as a grew older began to wonder why apartments were never featured. It kinda got me a little angry thinking why anyone needs 5 bedrooms, a separate laundry room, a private pool, and all, when my 700 square foot 1 bedroom apartment in NYC worked just fine for me and my parents. It just seems like overall, the American dream sort of equates to these massive houses in quiet suburbs, when almost no credit is given to apartment living. I actually find it a little dissapointing because of this lack of emphasis, there has been no attempt at any real "innovation" in apartments, the same thing, just with some nicer finishes. It almost seems like this is a cultural problem where people think they need all this space, when really, they don't. What do you think about this?

I think you are getting angry over nothing.

• Who

the thing to grasp with EVERY tv program is that they are intended to get as big an audience as they can so they can charge more fro advertising DURING the program

2 things matter- the numbers watching AND the demographic group they belong to and THAT determins the content of the program

e.g its no use at all having a content that attracts 18- 21 year if you are trying to sell advertising time to the king of stuff high rollers buy

in your case they are trying to sell the american dream - and THAT requires an audience with lots of money

you think the rich would be attracted to a program about apartments unless they were in say manhattan?

you think the rich with several kids would prefer to buy in NY or out in the country wilt lots of space?

look up the shows All in the Family and Jeffersons.

The Jeffersons lived in a house (i didn't know it was a duplex at that time) next to the Bunkers.....

then the Jeffersons moved on up to an apartment....i could never understand why that was considered moving up.

Because it's a TV show, and thus it is trying to attract the largest audience, and most people want a a house, etc.

These are television shows for entertainment. How entertaining is it to show people who are barely making ends meet out looking for tiny apartments?

There's no 'innovation' in anything when there's little money to be made.

maybe people watch it more if it shows a house

Firstly because those television shows are about people looking to purchase a property, and few of the apartments you're talking about are for sale - they're all rentals. Secondly because the owners are buying a property that they'll be able to renovate and decorate, to make their own. Nearly all apartments are located in buildings where there are strict rules in place about what sort of changes can be made. Lastly because viewers would find it boring. All small apartments are the same. They're concrete boxes. They look like rat mazes. The rooms may be big or small, the ceilings may be high or low, the windows may look different from one to the next, some have wood floors and some are carpeted. Big deal. You can't film a 30 minute segment focusing on how some yuppie decorates his tiny upper midtown high rise. Most apartment dwellers dream of upgrading to a home. Only people with enough money not to care are willing to just rent forever. That and poor people.

• A.J.

Owning a home is part of the American dream. It is also something purchased, with a decision about that purchase.

Apartments are according to what's available, and in NYC, very little is available, and they rent out before you choose it.

Ive lived in my single family home, rented apartments, own a condo.

A family does better in a single family home.

Life is more focused around the home. In an apartment, life is focused on outside the apartment.

• A C

In my opinion, a family of three needs at least 2 bedrooms for the sake of privacy. Where did you sleep? On the living room sofa? Where did you keep your clothes? People shouldn't live in each other's pockets. But I agree many families have much more space than they need.

Edit: A lot of it has to do with greed. Land developers are getting rich.

• Dze

america is about having your own land and space and being self sufficient really .. not being crammed into tight places in a city where you cant even have chickens and a garden ...