Why is there no emphasis placed on apartment living in America?

Growing up in New York City, I would always watch those House Hunter Shows where they show a family with some young kids, and they would always tour 3 different 5 bedroom houses with massive backyards and a 3 car driveway, ect. I always felt a little disappointed that they never featured any apartments on these... show more Growing up in New York City, I would always watch those House Hunter Shows where they show a family with some young kids, and they would always tour 3 different 5 bedroom houses with massive backyards and a 3 car driveway, ect. I always felt a little disappointed that they never featured any apartments on these shows, and as a grew older began to wonder why apartments were never featured. It kinda got me a little angry thinking why anyone needs 5 bedrooms, a separate laundry room, a private pool, and all, when my 700 square foot 1 bedroom apartment in NYC worked just fine for me and my parents. It just seems like overall, the American dream sort of equates to these massive houses in quiet suburbs, when almost no credit is given to apartment living. I actually find it a little dissapointing because of this lack of emphasis, there has been no attempt at any real "innovation" in apartments, the same thing, just with some nicer finishes. It almost seems like this is a cultural problem where people think they need all this space, when really, they don't. What do you think about this?
10 answers 10