20 meteriods or asteroids 80's or 90's?

The news said something like they where headed towards Earth at speeds 250,000 MPH. They where saying that this was Armageddon. I would greatly appreciate your help finding information about this. Thank you so much.

Why do you phrase your question as if this was fairly recent?

Check the archives at spaceweather.com after looking at the NEOs at the bottom of the page.

• Bill

Way back in school I had a project to do on meteorites.

My teacher had us use sheets of carbon paper which we laid out for a full day to collect atmospheric dust and debris. The papert is shiny and very slightly sticky so the dust adhered and any particle would show up clearly when examined with a magnifying glass.

Mostly, it was just dust but a few particles looked metallic or like crystals. These were the remains of meteors that burned up in the atmosphere.

You ought to try it. Cheap and easy. (Amazon sells carbon paper, btw.)

• Bill-M

Stop reading fake news. You need to look at the Tracking Chart. www.spaceweather.com

What,, only 20 ??? not very many, and I do believe the speed is highly exaggerated. 50,000 MPH is a statistically fast one.

Sure, one big enough to be a global killer making impact would be araggedon, but we find those a long way out and can moddle their path. To date, nothing so close to be any threat at all.

Look how many just this year, most people never were aware of. A couple months ago, a rogue asteroid zipped past earth, not even spotted until it was closer than the moon, big enough to wipe out a city had it hit.

These have been going on since time began, surely you heard about the one over Russia, far from global, but a lot of broken windows.

Best I can say, don't worry about it.

• Tiana11 months agoReport

For some reason I get updates about near misses almost daily on my phone news feed. I roll my eyes and laugh about it everytime. No meteoroid is going to matter when SCP-1548 gets here.

It happens all the time. Meteoroids burn up almost instantly when they hit the outer atmosphere. The faster they hit the quicker they are destroyed from the pressure and friction. The collision really happens in the outer atmosphere. It's like stepping slowly into a swimming pool versus belly flopping from the high diving board.

They are out there. The ones we know about and can track are missing Earth by many thousands of miles, some miss by millions.

But the ones we know about are just a percentage of all, we think. There might be some that are fairly large (quarter mile) and moving fast (40K mph or more). If they hide by region of sun, could be surprising.

What the "80's or 90's" have to do with anything is not understood.

Would be nice for you to tell about your "news" source.

total nonsense.

there is no knowledge to be had, given that this is total bunk.