promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

whats a way to handle smart mouths?

i'm not really that good or experienced in handling these types, i remember being at a public gathering in the long ago past when somebody 'smart mouthed' me every time i opened my mouth, i didn't know how to handle it, got frustrated and stormed off out of the gathering..

im a male, early forties, any tips for handling people like this in those situations?

Update:

thankyou to all the helpful constructive answers.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Angie
    Lv 4
    9 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You handle it by doing nothing. When you stoop to that level of immaturity, you are no better than they are. Be the bigger person, act like an adult, and keep yourself composed. In these situations, people are always watching and taking note of our behavior. When it is all said and done, let these "smart mouths" be the ones who look like fools, not you. If someone begins smart mouthing, just smile, politely excuse yourself from those specific people, and find more civilized people to converse with. Storming out only makes you look defeated and a bit childish. Stand your ground, but do so with dignity. Do not stoop to that level, but do not let them intimidate you. You always win by being the bigger person.

• great advice i thought thankyou- sorry i took time in choosing best answer i was busy on other things.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 months ago

Don't give in to them walk away and ignore them

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Unless these people are your subordinates and you have some control over them all you do is walk away.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

I say, oh, you want to say something? i will wait until you finish, that usually confuses them.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • `
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

"Storming out of the gathering" isn't the way to handle frustrating moments in life. Instead, walk away. It makes the other person look silly. If this happened "long ago," why are you still thinking about it?

• 9 months ago

i wouldnt say anything

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

It rather depends on what you mean by "smart-mouthing".

If you mean they made a joke or said something witty, you need to lighten up and not take yourself so seriously!

Storming out just makes you look immature, petulant and rather silly.

• 9 months ago

You could go for the 'turn the other cheek' approach, be the bigger man and let it go. Let's be honest though, where's the fun in that.

Alternatively, go for the scathingly witty riposte. The following is merely an example,

Winston Churchill after being called drunk by a Lady, "I may be drunk Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

i would just go sit somewhere else

• 9 months ago

Ask yourself why you stormed out like a child? If you're uncomfortable in a situation just excuse yourself and leave.

Otherwise, you look just as stupid as you think they do

• 9 months ago

When someone is so off-base, so rude, I look at them and laugh. It's not always a real laugh but it confuses the rude person.

Don't let them know it bothers you.Ignore them or laugh and they will not have fun being a smart mouth.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.