What Track and field event should I do at high school?

I’m about to enter my freshman year of high school and I want to participate in a track and field event but I don’t know what to do, I am 5”8” and 138 pounds. I have done a limited amount of discus and shot put and I enjoy them both. I don’t have incredible speed but I won’t get badly burned by anyone my age, what should I do?

If the coach is any good, he/she will have you do several things, and will help you decide what you're good at and what you enjoy.

• Stoo

Sample things until you find something that agrees with you. Listen to coaches as well and ask for objective opinions of what works best for you. But at your age it's good to keep options open - especially since you don't yet know how you'll develop in the end. You might not end up having the right body for some sports in the end, and that's OK - but not good if you shut off all other options to focus on one thing only.

Plus, there's good evidence to suggest kids who hyperfocus on one sport early get the injuries of that sport early as well - it's good to have some balance, especially as you're developing

I would try a few events out until you find the ones you want to do. I used to throw shot put and discus on my high school's varsity team, so I'm a little biased, but my suggestion is to do what you enjoy most or what you're best at so you can really focus on those events to improve.

Do them all until you find one that you like and/or suits you. And if it turns out that you're somewhat good at all of them but not particularly good at any, you can always do decathlon.

Only you know what you should do. Do something you think you would enjoy and something you would feel good about practicing to get better.