How can I help my throbbing ankle?

Woke up yesterday and my ankle was sore (not sure what happened) went out lastnight at some point I kinda rolled my ankle and when I woke up this morning my ankle was really sore and throbbing as the day is going on it is still very painful, throbbing and has gotten more swollen

What can/should I do to help the pain and get better

Definitely ice it

Some great answers here already. The outside of your ankle has a ligament called the trangular ligament, that, and a muscle called the Peroneus Longus, are the most commonly injured structures in the context of an inversion sprain (ankle sprain). Approximately 18% (one out of eleven) of ankle sprains include an occult fracture that can't be seen on x-ray until the body has healed enough to show up on x-ray a few weeks later. Uncomplicated ankle sprains should be treated with ice applications (no heat for the first three days) and an appropriate dose of either aspirin, acetaminophen, or ibuprofen. Elevating your foot/leg above the level of your heart will help to minimize swelling. Gentle pain-free range of motion (i.e. ankle pumps) can be beneficial as ligaments have a poor blood supply and get most of their nutrients through fluid movement within the body.

Chronic strains (rolling your ankle again and again) can lead to the ligaments and muscles being so stretched that they no longer effectively protect against movement in that direction resulting in the need for external support such as an ankle brace, a tape job, or a properly applied ace wrap. If you roll your ankle frequently talking to an Orthopedic doctor or, better yet, a physical therapist (and following their suggestions) could help to avoid chronic pain and limitations in the future.

I've done the same thing and ended up spraining my ankle. You might want to consider getting a professional to check it out, but I understand that can be expensive. I would suggest wrapping it propping it up and grab an ice pack. Make sure to stay off it if you can

• Da

I usually wrap it really tight and it goes away the next day.

I rolled my ankle at work (I heard it pop) and I tied my boot really tight.

The next day it was totally fine.

Apply some ice or a heating pad. Take some Tylenol and avoid strenuous activities for a few days. Take it easy, feel better (:

Make yourself an icepack ,prop your feet up on a pillow and take a pain pill.