Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 6 months ago

Should I consider becoming a pilot?

I have always had a passion for airplanes. I watch countless hours of videos on YouTube of planes taking off and landing. I would even spend my lunch hour watching planes take off and land at the airport that I used to live by. For that reason, I think I would truly enjoy waking up every morning and working as a pilot.

My biggest issue is that I have always had terrible pre-flight anxiety, especially during takeoff. Once we are in the air, I feel better. I even enjoy the landing.

I think my fear stems from not being in control and putting my "life" in someone else hands.

Anyone have any recommendations?

• Chris

Absolutely! In my opinion, if you have a passion for anything, you owe it to yourself to at least try it out. There are a lot of requirements for becoming a professional pilot, but try not to get too bogged down by that right now. I would recommend you start with these two steps:

1. Look into taking a discovery flight at your local airport. See if you can find a flight school nearby and give them a call. Tell them you are interested in becoming a pilot and you want to take an introductory (discovery) flight with one of their instructors in order to see what it is like. Most introductory flights like this will give you a good introduction into the different aspects of flying from the pilot's perspective. They will likely let you control the airplane in flight and may let you take off if you are comfortable. They will not let you land, but that's ok for now.

2. Look into getting a first class medical certificate from an faa medical examiner (Assuming you are from the US. I'm not sure what the medical regulations look like outside of the FAA's jurisdiction)

- This will let you know whether or not you meet the basic health requirements to become a pilot.

If you enjoy flying and you are able to meet the basic requirements, then the next steps would be to obtain a Student Pilot Certificate and begin training for your Private Pilot Certification. During this process you will have plenty of time to decide if a career in aviation is right for you. For now, you should definitely follow your passion or you will likely regret it in the future.

The fact that you're asking this question shows that you're already considering it.

" I have always had terrible pre-flight anxiety, especially during takeoff." You're not cut out to be a pilot.

You can consider all you like but judging by your post you stand little chance of making it.

• Edna

If you have pre-flight anxiety (especially during take-off), then the LAST thing you need to consider is ever trying to become a pilot.

No! you sound like you would be a danger to yourself and any body flying with you!

Yes it is nice to dream about it as do 99.9% of the people on this site who claim to be pilots.

In reality it becomes so boring doing it day after day and awfully routine!

• JetDoc

I've been a pilot for almost 40 years, and still HATE flying when someone else is in control.

Flying is a VERY EXPENSIVE hobby, and even more expensive if you want to train to become a commercial pilot, so you can work and get paid to drive an airplane. Look to your finances first... Do you have the CASH to pay for the training? Figure about $10,000 to become a Private pilot, and around $80,000 to become a Commercial pilot.

Have you ever been prescribed medication for anxiety? If so you may find it difficult to obtain an airman's medical certificate.

UPDATE. OK, Good. Then your next step is to go take an introductory flight lesson. If that goes well, then figure out how you're going to afford to become a pilot and what sort of sacrifices you're willing to make to become one.

• Toren6 months agoReport

I've never taken or been prescribed any medication for anxiety.

Yes, go for it. You'll overcome that fear because you'll be the one in control. I assume you'll get a lot of practice using flight simulators.

• Toren6 months agoReport

I've always wanted to try a flight simulator, but never pursued that thought. I should try it!

• car253

Yes. Do it. Find an instruction that you are very comfortable with.

• Toren6 months agoReport

Good Call! I should start researching.

Take some training flights with a good instructor.

Virtual reality adjustment might help too.

Source(s): US Navy aviation, using flight simulators.