Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 7 months ago

How are the attitudes of college professors compared to high school teachers?

Are college professors more strict?

Favorite Answer

In my experience, no. College professors are not as strict. For the most part they think if a student is in college s/he is there to get an education. By the time a person is old enough to go to college they are old enough to be responsible for doing what is expected of them.

• Lili

It depends on the individual professor. I'm a professor, and I'm pretty strict about requirements and deadlines. Some of my colleagues are more relaxed, but I expect college students to be responsible adults and to do what is expected of them when it's expected.

I am also a pretty tough grader. Again, some of my colleagues are more lenient. Some of them are more interested in their research than their teaching and don't devote a huge amount of time to things like teaching and grading. I try to give equal time to teaching/grading duties and my own work.

Here's the difference between college professors and high school teachers.

High school teachers don't have a choice and college professors do. You're practically paying them to teach you. So they expect you to learn compared to high school because you would be old enough to be responsible for your own stuff. They're nothing like what high school has told you. They're only maybe....ten, fifteen percent right. If you act like a good student and don't mess around, then you're golden. There's going to be a few professors in your lifetime that you're going to meet and you're going to think "wow, why is this person a professor?" you're able to drop classes or change them rather than being stuck with them like high school.

All in all, you're going to be okay!

What do you mean by "strict"? For the most part, you're expected to be an adult, and to be responsible for getting your work done and studying. On the other hand, they won't tolerate some of the nonsense that goes on in high school classes- they'll just tell you to drop the class. Don't be texting all the time during class, pay attention and take notes. You'll be fine.

Most are willing to help during office hours; few are mean.

it depends on the person, everyone is different

• Not

high school teachers pretend to care about you

collage professors yell at you when you do something bad

university professors doesn't care at all

• Lili

College and university professors are basically the same thing. They both hold PhDs and are specialist experts in their fields. They both do research and publishing. The main difference is that universities have grad students. Colleges normally don't, though some do.

I don't know what you mean by strict. They aren't going to baby sit you. You don't do your assignments, they don't care and they aren't going to remind you, you'll just get a zero for that assignment.

You don't want to show up for class and learn the material on your own, that's typically fine. None of my professors would have cared if you weren't in class but could pass the tests and exams.

• Robin

not more strict per se but if you don't do the work youre out

Everyone is different. Not all college professors are strict. They're not like drill sergeants if that's what you're worried about. You shouldn't mess around though. Be mature.