Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceStandards & Testing · 10 months ago

Will Calculus throw me off for my SAT?

I skipped two full years of math and I’m a sophomore in precalculus honors. Next year is SATs and ACTs and I’ll be in AP Calculus ab that year. Will the advanced mathematics throw me off for the math portion of those exams? Or will the opposite happen? Thanks.

Favorite Answer

I took AP Calculus AB the year I took my SAT's. The SAT did not have calculus when I took it (2015), and probably still does not. There is a lot of trigonometry, and questions about right triangles, similar triangles, ratios, and Pythagorean numbers.

The AP Calculus class will not throw you off your SAT preparation if you study for the SAT in addition to your AP homework. This is what I did. In fact, your SAT preparation might actually end up helping you in your AP Calculus class, since many of the basics covered in the SAT will also be used in AP Calculus.

My recommendation is to practice for the SAT by taking full length SAT tests from previous years, which should be posted online. If you can get these graded by someone, and look at the questions you got wrong, then this will be even better, and let you know what to study. If you want a high score, then don't just only focus on math, since writing, the essay, and reading are also on the exam, and since they might not be as straightforward as math for some people.

Source(s): Blessed enough to go to school
  • drip

More math knowledge will be a plus.

hopefully it wont, just get some help with it