Austin asked in PetsCats · 9 months ago

Cat neurological problems google can’t solve lol?

My cat Smokey had a tail “degloving” a while ago, about 6 years or so ago, and we paid $500 to have his infected tail amputated. The infection has cleared up a long time ago, but now I think he might have neurological issues. When I scratch or pet anywhere near his tail (the closer I pet the worse it is) he will purr but he bites and chews on his arm or side. He doesn’t seem to be in any pain but his tail will twitch and he bites himself, and recently he’s been biting harder and harder. Any help or direction for what it might be? Thanks. - Austin

Ignore the "lol" this is a serious question. No, the cat is not in pain, and on google I have found cats that bite themselves when they're scratched, but those are cats that have done that their whole lives. My cat only started doing it post amputation. I'm not looking for a diagnosis, just an idea of what might cause it and if it is likely to be directly related to his tail amputation.

• J C
    Favorite Answer

Cats can develop neurological issues in the back after a tail amputation. And they can occur years later as it slowly gets worse. And like humans, cats can develop phantom pain in a missing limb or tail. Get him in to the vet and discuss it - drugs like Prozac can really help a lot. And if it is a real issue like not moving right due to the tail injury (even though it's many years later) the vet can prescribe drugs like gabapentin to control that.

Years ago I fostered a kitten who had gotten caught in the fan belt of a car. She had most of the skin stripped off both back legs, and her tail ended up being amputated after the joint next to her body. Amazingly she recovered, and had full bladder control (sometimes they can become incontinent when the injury is that 'high'). But years after, in her new home, she developed similar symptoms to your cat's. This was thankfully a very enlightened vet, who thought it was phantom pain. Prozac really helped her out! Give it some thought, and get him in to be seen by your vet.

• Austin6 months agoReport

Took him to the vet and it turns out it was an issue of fleas causing him to bite like that. Now after having him cured he doesn't do it when I scratch his butt!