promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anna B asked in PetsCats · 9 months ago

My 5 month old male kitten has decided to be a surrogate mom to his mom's 2 week old kittens?

he lays in their little area with them and washes them just like mom does, washing their tummies to help with digestion and washing their butts. they act like they are nursing but of course they're not. mamma cat doesn't have a problem with it. is it a problem? oh, and sometimes he nurses on mamma, too.

Attachment image

4 Answers

Relevance
  • PAMELA
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

At 5 months old he should not be nursing from his mother, and get him neutered and the mother spayed, otherwise you will soon have many kittens in the house!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 months ago

Wow. What sort of scumbag are you that your cat has had TWO litters in a matter of 5 months? Is this kitten the father of this litter since there's no way you're responsible enough to have altered him?

Give your cat, all its kittens and any other cats to a no-kill shelter. You have NO business being a pet owner!!!!

• J C
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Yes, it is a problem. He should not be nursing. Is he neutered? If not, he is going to get his mother pregnant while she's still nursing - yes, she can come into heat even while nursing. The litter he came from was bad enough - and now you have allowed the second? She needs to be put in a room with her kittens - AWAY from interference. You may think it is cute - it is not. Mom just may decide to abandon the kittens. Get everyone spayed/neutered, and do not allow him access to the kittens.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

He should stop taking the kittens milk, but sounds like he’s being a good older brother, I’ve had several cats that weirdly do this at times. You have to make sure he doesn’t hog the milk, he may just be very insecure, that’s why he’s still trying to nurse. He also must b fry young and had a mothering instinct, the laying next to the kittens keeps them warm and secure while moms away. He he starts trying to chase her off the kittens or you notice the kittens are getting thin, he will have to be taken away from mom and the brood so she can raise them, otherwise they should be fine like this. Many males that are neutered at a very young age also instinctively will nurture kittens, I’m not sure if it’s because they didn’t have a full amount of testosterone running through them or it’s a nature nurture thing.

Occasionally the males do this, more often than not the young females do this, especially if momma cat had litters back to back, first litter barely weaned when next litter drops, I’ve seen momma nurse the older kittens with the newborns at the same time. Again wired but not unheard of.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.