How is the culture in European countries different than that in the United States? why?

I noticed that people seem to be "cozier" with each other, less on guard, and more "Friendly"? but it really is that they have their guard down , not like Americans who seem to be on guard all the time, or have their noses in the air or have a resentful look. (depending if you are one of the... show more I noticed that people seem to be "cozier" with each other, less on guard, and more "Friendly"? but it really is that they have their guard down , not like Americans who seem to be on guard all the time, or have their noses in the air or have a resentful look. (depending if you are one of the minorities or not)..

but in Europe people seem to be more "together socially" and like you can stop and have ice cream and have a chat with someone and not be fake about it? true? why?