Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 12 months ago

Are millennials or gen z people having babies at early age now?

It seems like people are having babies in their early 20s like for my high school in particular have classmates in my class having babies now in their early 20s. I am only 22 now and some people I knew and heard are having babies already. I thought that millennials and gen z people tend to have babies later in life. Does it just depend on location also in determining people having babies?

I don't have friends and I don't know many people, so I cannot say.

Haven't seen any articles suggesting this.

https://time.com/4181151/first-time-moms-average-a...

Granted, article does just go up to 2014.

• Pippin

Certainly 'some people' are having babies early. And 'some people are having them very late, and 'some people' somewhere in the middle. The average age for a first child in most western societies is late 20's to 30. But that is just an average, and doesn't mean what everyone is doing.

I have a daughter and 4 nieces in their late 20's. None are married and none have children. While I don't know about my niece's friends, none of my daughter's close friends have children yet.

• LizB

It's where you live. If you moved to an affluent area of the country where the majority of people pursue postsecondary education, the average age for first-time motherhood would likely be over 30.

Your peer group can also affect your observations. For example, among my friends and acquaintances, I only know one person who got pregnant on purpose before their late 20s. Most of my friends who have kids had them either in their late 20s or sometime in their 30s.

some people might be

People of higher socioeconomic status USUALLY marry and make babies later then people of lower status.