I know very well how you feel. It is an awful feeling that really makes life quiet miserable. I overcame depression and now I live full of joy, longing for each moment.
I will give you three factors that keep people in depression, and also three solutions that have worked for me and thousands of others.
The three main chains that keep people depressed are the following:
1) They rely on medication to solve their problem. However, anti-depression medication never treats the root of the problem, it only soothes the symptoms. Therefore, depressed people on medication may become addicted and with time require a higher dosage or stronger medications to feel the same – creating a downward spiral that often only makes things worse.
2) They don’t recognize their individual purpose in life. Depressed people are like a boat in the ocean tossed back and forth by the wind of emotions – a boat with no direction or destination. God has created each person unique, and he has a very specific purpose for all of our lives. God said in the Bible that “without a vision people perish”. Depressed people don’t have a positive vision for their future.
3) They believe that since they are depressed, that something is wrong with them. This is not true. Depression is caused by a spirit. Imagine a big and heavy monkey that jumps on your back and clings to your shoulder. You would feel it big time, but there is nothing wrong with you. If you can get rid of that monkey you would no longer feel the burden. Depressed people are focusing on themselves instead of dealing and fighting that monkey – the spirit of depression.
So how do you get rid of depression? Here are the 3 steps that worked for me:
1) You need to fill the emptiness inside your soul with the love of God to prevent this spirit of depression from getting access to you. Realize that God loves you greatly and he desires for you to experience his love tangibly. Just talk to Jesus Christ and repent of your sins, talk to him daily and ask him to forgive you for all your sins and fill you with the Holy Spirit and God’s love. This is not a religion, it is about a real relationship with God.
How to accept Jesus Christ as your personal Savior and Lord?
It is the easiest thing in the world. Just close your eyes, focus on him and pray something like this:
"Lord Jesus, I repent of all my sins and I ask you to wash me clean. I am sorry for all the dumb things I have done and the many times I broke God's Will. Please forgive me and fill me with the gift of the Holy Spirit. I want to belong to God. I want to be adopted into his family as his child. Come into my heart. I give you control over my life. Please lead me through the Holy Spirit and make your Word real to me. Fill my soul with the peace that surpasses understanding and help me change so that I may lead a life that is pleasing to you. I want to go to heaven and I want to be called by the Fathers name. As of today I declare that I belong to you". Amen
If you do this with all of your heart you will start noticing subtle changes inside of you and step by step your life will change. I am speaking from experience.
2) Once you are filled with the Holy Spirit and God’s love you need to start learning how to battle the spirit of depression. Realize this is a battle that takes place in your mind. Purchase the book from Joyce Meyer called “Battlefield of the Mind” - a NY Times bestseller that has set hundreds of thousands free. Also, find her schedule on DayStar or TBN and watch her daily. The more you fill your heart with the Word the less the spirit of depression can cling to you. In the process start asking God to reveal to you the true purpose and specific task for your life.
3) Realize that this spirit of depression gained a legal right somewhere / somehow to cling to your back. This legal right has to be destroyed so he can’t come back. In many cases we inherit such things from our forefather’s sins, so we need to break what is called the generational curse. Go to Larry Huch’s website and purchase the book “Free at Last – Breaking Generational Curses”.
I have taken these steps that I have shared with you. I have found my specific purpose and life and my boat now has a clear destination. The love of God flows tangibly inside my heart – it is incredible. And yes! The spirit of depression is gone for good! I am not turning back. I sincerely hope you will take this path seriously as I can guarantee you it will set you free as well.