I'm overwhelmed?

I'm 16, and I just started a part time job at the end of July. I had an interview for the job the day after I turned 16 and l got working pretty fast. But my mental health has been the worst it's ever been and I feel overwhelmed all the time. I am now working about 15-20 hours a week and I'm coming in sometimes last minute because we are short staffed. I'm worried that 15-20 hours a week is too much for me right now, and when school starts I know it's going to be a lot. My therapist said maybe I can start working one day a week until I'm more comfortable and I learn how to cope with my anxiety better. I thought this was a good idea but I'm worried my boss will say no since we are about to lose kids that are going away to college and someone was just fired a couple weeks ago. How should I ask my boss to work less hours or less days?

If your workplace has lost and is losing personnel, the manager would be wise to keep whatever help IS available, even if it's only one day a week.

• H

I'm going to assume you work fast food or retail. Ask if you can work only during the weekends. That would lower to just two days a week. Weekdays aren't usually an issue since it's easy to get coverage during those days.

Apply to a different job as part time and be sure to let them know that school is a major priority as well as your mental health so you can only work for xyz hours. You are in control of how many hours you want to work, not them. Don't let them decide for you. Find a job that gives you this flexibility. It's good that you're aware, do this for yourself.

• Judy

He probably won't be ok with only one day a week, but maybe with cutting back to 12 hours or so.

• Sam

A good boss understands that school comes first. You dont "have" to work there.

i would just talk to your boss about it

Very few employers want to deal with an employee who only wants to work one day a week.

Nobody needs a one day a week employee.

Your boss will be upset if you are a good worker, but HIS being upset does not mean YOU have to sacrifice your own mental health. YOU have to do what is good for YOU. EVEN if this means leaving the job entirely.

A good work ethic is one thing, but considering you are still in school THAT should be your main focus. A job is something you can pick up IF you have both the time and additional focus to handle. Don't do what you can't handle.