Why study astrophysics if you can study astronomy instead?

Favorite Answer

Astronomy grads have limited job opportunities---

Writing articles

Teaching in secondary schools and college classes for non-science majors, first year astrophysics.

Planetarium operation and show production.

Interviews with TV science show directors

Assist astrophysics researchers at observatories

Space station or other space travel operations

Astrophysicists do research at major universities and observatories, teaching advanced courses at colleges and universities.

Planetary geologists do the same, also at JPL and NASA.

Source(s): My Internet friend from 20 years ago got advanced degrees in planetary geology, researches asteroids, works with space cameras on probes, and does work at major institutions and observatories.

These days, there is almost no such thing as a professional astronomer who is NOT an astrophysicist, regardless of the titles on his/her university degrees. If you wish to study astronomy "for fun," you could get away with avoiding astrophysics.

That is your call. Astrophysics is for those astronomers that have an interest into what makes space tick.

Astronomy is one of my life long hobbies, but delve into a good chunk of the physics. helps the understanding.

Even got into radio astronomy having an interest in the electromagnetic spectrum with my own radio telescope.

I spend LOTS of time reading scientific journals, most have a section on astronomy and space, aviation, medicine, physics, zoology,, all of high interest to me..

Radio is another lifelong hobbie, that became my career field in aerospace.

We as individuals each have our own interest, pursue your own.

Maybe the pay is better, if you happen to be fortunate enough to get a job in that field.

Astrophysics is the Study of why things work as they should

Astronomy is looking out for bodies

Both are pretty useful

You can do either one, a decent university will enable both. It really only depends on how you get there.

cause some people want to study that

I only studied astrophysics for fun. For the pleasure of learning. It's just more interesting. Particle physics and quantum mechanics is something else that is pretty interesting.

• Nyx

Astrophysics, is a step above astronomy. It's where you get a better understanding of how the universe works.

that's your choice.