Andy asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 6 months ago

Is it rude to speak to a Mexican in English if we're in America but he's Mexican?

It's not rude, you use Spanish if you like, but in America, we speak Engolish

• John P

I would not say "rude", but it would be rude not to make allowances for his general lack of understanding more than a few words of English. Try to speak slowly and simply, as I do in Britain to the many tourists I meet.

Of course not. As immigration activists say, "we're all immigrants", so it's no ruder to speak English to a Mexican person in the US than it is to speak English to anyone else, except people originally from England.

• Robin

Mexico is in America too

• Daisy

Ah, no. Mexico is an independent country- south of the US. Parts of the US once belonged to Mexico, but they were ceded to the US when Mexico lost the Mexican-American War in 1848.

• Foofa

You can’t tell by looking at someone what passport they carry so just assume you’re dealing with another American until they tell you different.

To the contrary; what's rude is for immigrants to come to the US and make no effort to learn English.

Immigrants have to show rudimentary knowledge of the English language to qualify for citizenship. [See list.] If that Mexican cannot speak English they are making no effort to become an American citizen. They should be deported.

List of citizenship requirements:

Be at least 18 years old at the time of filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.

Be a permanent resident (have a “Green Card”) for at least 5 years.

Show that you have lived for at least 3 months in the state or USCIS district where you apply.

Demonstrate continuous residence in the United States for at least 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing Form N-400.

Show that you have been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing Form N-400.

Be able to read, write, and speak basic English. NOTE.

Have a basic understanding of U.S. history and government (civics).

Be a person of good moral character.

Demonstrate an attachment to the principles and ideals of the U.S. Constitution.

not as long as he knows english and knows what youre saying

When I am in Spanish speaking countries I try to speak Spanish. I admit I speak to poorly as I have on lb. Y two years of it in high school and one year of it in college and that was three decades ago but I try just the same because it is a courtesy.

no!

like it's not rude for a mexican to spanish to an american if they're in mexico

You realize many Mexicans can speak English just fine?

No, speak your own language.