promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Is it normal to have to ask your current doctor for permission to switch doctors?

At my current doctor s office, if you request to switch doctors, they say your current doctor has to agree first. I don t think that is right. It s my choice if I wish to switch providers, is it not?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

I didn't ask. Just went in to leave a letter announcing my departure and requesting my records. I did say goodby to most of the staff who had been kind to me. (The one who had been nasty, turned and ran - yeah!)

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 months ago

Yes. You usually need a professional recommendation from one doctor to see another doctor.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

Your doctor's office could have that as an internal policy (weird but it's up to them). You as the patient are always free in that case to look for a doctor in another office if they had this policy AND your original doctor was to deny your request (I can't see why, if a patient doesn't want me for their doctor any more, why am I going to say no to them transferring?)

• Thomas
    Lv 4
    9 months ago

You are under no obligation to stay with your current doctor, you can switch assuming you're an adult (I assume you're 18 or over).

If you're a minor, then no your parent or guardian gets to decide who will be your pediatrician.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.