Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceOther - Social Science · 11 months ago

Is it bad that I don't use social media?

As a teenager when facebook was new I joined briefly too see what it was all about. I left because it felt fake and I didn't see the point of having it. I grew up in a small town where everyone knew each other and I spent time with my friends in real life.

Now as an adult I feel that I sometimes get judged because I don't have facebook. People use it even more since I was a teenager. Sometimes people who have been interested in me, get confused because they don't find my profile. As ridiculous as it sounds, it's true. I personally feel that people communicate way too much through social media. It doesn't feel normal for someone to approach you and then not talk to you very much in person. Maybe it's more common amongst women but still I don't feel it's a good reason. The only thing that could make me join, is to keep in touch with old friends who have moved or being in certain groups. However, I wonder if I am considered normal because I still don't use social media?

@Teva I guess but I don't use my real name here

@Anonymous I agree with everything in your answer. But at the same time because people use it so much, you can sometimes miss out on important information as well.

Favorite Answer

My boyfriend has never used social media... and i do, but only for the art groups and bird watching groups. Otherwise i don't participate much at all.

Too much idiotic drama otherwise (at least, for me)

• no, people seem to becoming insane through social media, its causing more problems than its worth.

Perfectly normal. Facebook is full of people's pet political causes, people's kids in fancy dress outfits, pictures of people's home made burgers plus a little general tittle tattle and inane petty ranting.

• Teva

Yahoo answers is social media.

• Teva

Lots of people don't use their real name on facebook either, but we're still interacting with each other socially, so this is a social media platform. 🙂