Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 12 months ago

They called my dog aggressive.?

I took my three month old dog to the vet and the vet said he was aggressive. He’s hyper and very playful but he’s never snapped at anyone at home or outside viciously. He growls if you’re smooshing him or crowding him to where he is unable to move but that’s all.

At the vet I could hear him in the back whining and yowling with the vet and when he returned she claimed he tried to bite her. She was giving him shots and trying to draw his blood and I guess he bit at her? She was adamant I should get him fixed ASAP, even though I’ve told her he’s fine at home and he’s cuddly and hasn’t snapped at new people. She said I wasn’t taking him out to socialize enough? I’ve only had him for about two months and I have other dogs and he goes with me whenever I can take him places. He loves car rides and he doesn’t bite people who want to pet him.

I don’t want to get him neutered but they were very adamant that he is anxious and aggressive but I mean, is that one circumstance of biting when being restrained with strangers and given shots really a good way to determine that? I’d understand if he nipped at someone at home or a stranger who was only petting him but he hasn’t.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? Should I get him neutered? I really don’t want to and my family says I shouldn’t but I’m not sure what’s the right way to go about talking to this vet if I decide against it. She was not happy with my decision when I said I wasn’t neutering him last visit.

EDIT: He was born April 29th and I got him early July. He was nine weeks old so everyone saying I wrongly got my dog is wrong. I said he was 3 months bc he’ll be 4 months next week and didn’t think it was important but since you’re claiming I committed a crime, I’ll clarify. Thanks for answering and here on, you’re right, I will insist on being with my dog in the vets office. This is my first dog that I’ve had that is actually my responsibility, I’m learning. I’ll be sure to heed your advice.

Favorite Answer

Ideally, you should ask to stay WITH your puppy rather than let if be removed from your presence (esp after this situation occurred). Vets will TELL YOU it is best to remove them, so they do not associate anything UNPLEASANT that happens (like shots or blood drawing) with you....but MY dogs always feel more reassured with ME in the room with them, so I am my own advocate for them and insist they stay (unless it is for surgery or x-rays). They do LOTS better and mind me 100%, although mine have never tried to bite anybody.

2) You need a new vet. GOOD VETS do not inflict PAIN when doing shots or drawing blood, and they should always have an ASSISTANT to help hold the dog. I feel your puppy is TOO YOUNG to be TERMED "AGGRESSIVE".

Puppies at 3-4 months, have often NOT fully learned NOT TO BITE, and if frightened, the puppy may indeed become a FEAR BITER..... in a given situation (and in my opinion, suggesting the vet did something very WRONG - behind CLOSED DOORS).

3) Look up the positives and negatives of early neutering. In most VET SCHOOL opinions & that of my holistic vet, is NOT advisable to do it until the GROWTH PLATES have closed. Early neutering also causes or likens a number of other HEALTH PROBLEMS: certain types of cancer, hypothyroidism, etc. P.S. neutering is just another cheap way for a vet to "pad their BILL". Sure (unless you have a SHOW or FIELD CHAMPION quality dog) and certainly if it is a mixed breed, it will eventually do best, to be neutered (when more MATURE). But that is YOUR CHOICE and does not have to be done, EVER if you can be careful & responsible with not letting your dog ROAM or reproduce.

4) You do not say what breed or mix of breeds your puppy is. The vet MAY have an automatic BREED BIAS if it is a bully breed or bully mix. Or insisting your puppy was aggressive & that you get it neutered ASAP (aside from her obvious PROFIT MARGIN) may be her way of "covering up" her fear or ineptitude..... at drawing blood or giving shots. (C.Y.A.)

5) We have no way to know how much socialization you have or have not done w/ said puppy but puppies NEED 10 different experiences every day: sounds/noises, sights, surfaces and people (including different races & genders, with hats, no hats, in a wheel chair, on a skate board, etc. Puppy kindergarten classes are another IMPORTANT socialization feature you need to get enrolled in, ASAP.

MY Advice: No neuter until the growth plates have closed (for your breed or breed mix) get a NEW VET that comes highly recommended, and STAY WITH your puppy.... for any further exams or shots.

If the dog has a weak temperament, put in an unfamiliar situation could make him stressed enough to snap. However, CHANGE YOUR VET . There's no way I'd have let a puppy of this age go out of my care, vet or no. That in itself would have me never returning to that Practice.

Good vets and their staff know how to handle nervous puppies, for starters.

Castration only prevents unwanted puppies. NOTHING ELSE. And 3 months is way too young to be castrated in any case - this needs to wait until the growth plates have closed. Further if you truly have a aggressive 3 month old puppy - you have a problem. So sad your puppy had to have such a bad experience at the hands of a vet!!! You too. If you can, contact local breeders as they tend to use GOOD VETS.

And we are supposed to say what?

Why would you not neuter him? And why are you "smooshing him or crowding him to where he is unable to move"? WTF? You've MADE this dog aggressive you effing idiot.

Give this poor dog up to a no-kill shelter. You have NO business owning pets!!!!

Part of the problem is you accepted a 4 week old puppy which is ILLEGAL I most places, pups need to be with mom and siblings for 8 weeks to learn boundaries, behaviors, proper socialization etc before you bring your new pup home.

Until the pups had its shots and protected against parvo, you shouldn’t be bringing him out and about letting him walk on ground that may have active virus, instead you can carry him places to make sure he stays safe, once the vet okays him that he’s protected and can go out and do-meets and greets. Otherwise wait until it’s safe.

Three months old is a bit young to neuter a dog, a lot of controversy over neutering too young or waiting until the dogs fully developed.

If the vets demanding a pup to be neutered at three months old saying he’s hard to control etc, I would if at all possible find a different vet that knows what they are doing more and is more experienced with dogs of all ages.

My little boy at three months was a biter and very mouthy, we found him wandering out in the woods lost and he snapped, growled and chewed hands and fingers until he was used to being handled again. We never found his owners and adopted him (he was around 9 weeks old). After we handled him about a week his mouthing and nipping got better, he had been used to running and protecting himself and now found himself I a house with many other animals. His first vet visit was terrifying to him, but we made it through okay, the vet only recommended we use the cradle and hold exercise to help him learn to feel secure.

Once we paired him with another pup dame age (approximate) they became best buds.

As for your vet I suggest finding one that’s dealt with puppies, trying to suggest a 3 month old baby being overly aggressive and frightened because it’s not got anyone familiar around is just nuts. I’ve always stayed with all my dogs while receiving shots or any testings done, I wouldn’t just surrender my dog and day deal with it, I’ll wait in the lobby. Your vet shouldn’t expect you to

Veterinarians are dumb when it comes to animal behavior. They are there to diagnose and treat.

• Maxi

Why were you not with your pup?

Vets are 'health professionals for animals' NOTHING more, they are not nutritionists, behaviourists or trainers unless they have taken additional training/qualifications and 99% of them have not, yet people (and it seems many vets too) seem to think that vets are the font of all knowledge......... your pup 'reacted' that is nothing to do with being agressive and any 'vet' who separates a pup of 3 months old without its owner/handler there and carried out shots and drawing blood can expect to get a reaction...so this vet needs avoiding.

In so far as nuetering at 3 months old and the vet assuming it will change a reactive behaviour to separation, inappropriate handling and pain, the vet needs to return to school as clearly they didn't listen the first time or learn the parameters of their skills/abilities as they are assuming many things that are untrue........ neutering would NOT stop reaction ( or agression) it stops them wandering looking for a mate, it stops them producing litters, in males it removes the testosterone and in many males( animal and human) this is the agressive/fight hormone which kicks in with 'teenage' or young immature adults ( not 3 months old pups)

Find a vet who didn't graduate at the bottom of the class and EDUCATE yourself!!! No decent vet would ever take a dog, nor would a good owner allow it, to the back. The owner ALWAYS goes with the dog unless its for surgery or x-rays (and even for x-rays I go with my dogs).

Also, a real vet would never push neutering a puppy that's MUCH too young. Dogs need to be fully grown, with their growth plates closed, before neutering is even considered. Again, educate yourself about the benefits of not neutering a male. I've never neutered a male (unless for medical reasons when older) and never will. It's just not healthy.

As for the biting, if the puppy did tried to bite, it had good reason. It was scared and the poor thing's owner allowed it to be taken away to have scary things done to it. Not the puppy's fault if it did try to bite.

• Jack H

So, you've had a three month old dog for two months, off his mother early??? NO vet would want to castrate a male dog at three months of age, no vet would treat the dog this way...

its normal for him to bite her, he probably didnt want a shot

If he's only three months old I don't know why the vet would be pressing you so hard to make a decision on castrating him. (I hate when people use crappy euphemisms for castration like 'fixing'. 'I got my dog fixed' - oh really, I never even knew he was broken - what was wrong with him). It sounds like your vet has penis envy - find a new vet. And as for her saying your dog is aggressive....ask your dog for his side of the story. 'So this beyatch was trying repeatedly to stick me with needles - I've no idea why or what was in them - so I bit her'. I think vets are trained to expect dogs to get pissed off when they get needles stuck in them, it's an occupational hazard, and they use muzzles to prevent injuries.

Source(s): BVS, MRCVS