Can I mess up my computer by running Linux on it?

Hi, I currently have Windows 7, but I don t want to switch to Windows 10, so I m thinking of switching to Linux. But I m not tech savvy, and I m afraid that in the process of trying to run Linux on my computer, I might mess something up and not be able to use it at all any more. I read online that it s safer to... show more Hi, I currently have Windows 7, but I don t want to switch to Windows 10, so I m thinking of switching to Linux. But I m not tech savvy, and I m afraid that in the process of trying to run Linux on my computer, I might mess something up and not be able to use it at all any more.

I read online that it s safer to first run Linux as a live medium from a USB or DVD drive, but I m wondering if even trying to do that, I can mess something up. (My computer is an Acer Aspire E1-532 laptop. I think it was manufactured in 2012 or 2013, and it came with Windows 7 pre-installed.)

Is it safe to at least try running Linux as a live medium? Are there certain distros that are safer? What do I do if I get stuck and my computer stops working? Thanks