What should I do with some brakes left on old pads after replaced new one?

It kinda make me mad to throw away something that still have life left on it.

Earlier this week, I heard noise from driver side brakes. I went to pepper boys to get new brakes on. They put on new brakes on both side not just one side. After I looked at brake pad they throw away, my driver side have 10 percent left, the passenger side have 20 percent left.

So it make me mad for throwing away brakes that have 20 percent left.

So question is there way to fix? So won't throw away the left of life you got? Like tell store put in new brakes only on one side then do other side couple of months later?

Favorite Answer

put the old ones back in the box, return them to where you got them. This is the core charge. as the steel backing plate can be reused as they scrape off the old brake shoe and glue on another new one.

WalMart does not want the cores,

Pep boys might want them and give you a few bucks for them.

Or they may not give you anything. I don't know their business operation.

. As no shop reuses old pads. It just ain't worth it. You chose to have them done early. They ALWAYS DO BOTH WHEELS (as both wheels are the same age so they got about the same wear & it saves you from wasting your time revisiting again a short period of time to do the other...so you have equal braking power to both wheels.

IT IS NOT WORTH THEIR TIME FOR THE EFFORT they will not put on old pads because in a month later you are back to pay them for their labor again.

. Many people wait until it is already too late and they SCORE the rotor with the steel backing plate(which is harder than the rotor so gouges up the rotor real bad.) Changing the shoes early saves in the cost of resurfacing or replacing the rotor.

. No one can say how long your pads will last. Much has to do with the amount you drive. I drive very little and my pads are 12 years old. When they get into the danger zone, they start squealing when you apply the brakes, meaning the pads are near the end of their life. If you use the brakes very little, then about 60K miles is what you can expect for life out of them. If you are a tailgater, and hard driving into the corners and hard stops, then expect to change in 40K(or less)

. The passenger wheel ALWAYS has more life left in it because if you drive alone most of the time...most of the weight is in the driver's seat(your body weight).

. I have done multiple brake pad or shoe changes and noted that one side wears out faster than the other. Various makes of cars, various years.

..Rotors get done when they need Doing. The brake shop looks at them and determines that. They specialize in KNOWING THEIR SCHITT.

Automechanic.

• Erik

Are you sure auto parts stores would be interested in them? Core charges are usually for bigger, less disposable things.

I keep pads with any lining left on for motorcycles. Because they can be difficult to find and expensive. If the lining perchance wears off prematurely, or falls off, I can slip one on and Have brakes.

.

For old Chevys where a set is $7, I don't bother. I'd have a corner of my garage full of them. Plus, some of the older 1980 pads might have asbestos, if Chines origin. Ever think of that?

Or. you can weld them into sculpture, chrome it, give it to winner of Hot Rod contest?

Sand them smooth use them again.

Source(s): Experience

Sell them on Ebay, for a discount price. My feelings are that some brakes are better than no brakes.

• Road Warrior3 months agoReport

May not be allowed to sell them. Some discount retailers imported some Chinese units that had asbestos.

• JetDoc

AAAAaaaahhhhh… NO!

Throw them in the trash.............

• don r

The way to fix this is by learning to do your own brakes, so 5-10 years from now when they need changing again, you can judge better. Don't lose sleep about what you did this time. That's not as bad as getting down metal to metal in the dead of winter and needing new rotors along with pads. By the way, 10% remaining on a pad that was 8mm new, would only be less than one mm left on the most worn pad. That was time to change, and doing both sides at the same time WAS prudent. Throw out the old trash unless you want to use them for paperweights.

• Scott

Throw them out, they aren't worth keeping.

• Greedy4 months agoReport

What make you say aren't worth keeping?

You don't replace brake lining on one wheel only. Dispose of the old ones. it's dumb to save them, unless you're planning to be cheap and use them again. A shop wont install used linings so you'll have to do it yourself.

• Trump 2020

Thin pads get hotter faster, and that can cause your rotors to warp under hard braking.

• Rick

put the old ones back in the box, return them to where you got them, and they will be recycled ...........