If you cut off some of your DNA, what will happen?

I asked my biology teacher and she was stumped. I asked Google, but no answer comes up.

So, let s say you cut off the part of your DNA that determines your eye color. If that gets removed somehow, will anything happen? Will the iris just be gone? Or will the eye just change to a "default color"?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

I don't know how that could be done willingly... unless one were to expose themselves to radiation which is one way to alter DNA... among a whole heck of a lot of scary stuff like violent vomiting.

I have read that some rare times DNA will mutate - but I'm not sure how or why although my first guess is if a person just simply lives a severely unhealthy lifestyle.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

Of a small sample in a vial - nothing

In one or 2 cells in your body? - prob nothing

In large quantity or all? - die a miserable death

• 6 months ago

Essentially, this is how you get cancer. Cancer is caused by a corruption (usually a truncation) in DNA.

• oikoσ
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Not a thing. However, there might be an effect on your offspring.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

We can never know for certain because it has never been done before, but i am guessing you will either die or the organs that the genes were responsible for will stop functioning, and depending on which organs they were, you might live without them.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Well, you cannot do that to all billions of cells that you have now, and your eyecolour will stay what it is.

If a part of a chromosome is damaged when you are a zygote, either you don't turn into a morula, blastula, and foetus at all, or - maybe - the homologous chromosome compensates

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

eye color is determined by pigments within the eye. eumelanin is dark brown to black and phaeomelanin is yellow to red

lots of eumelanin = brown eyes. no eumelanin and no phaeomelanin = blue eyes. lots of phaeomelanin and no eumelanin = hazel eyes. small amount of phaeomelanin and no eumelanin = green eyes.

if you delete or cut out part of the DNA, then you damage it. Depending on what is in the missing DNA, one may lose some genes or something else may happen. Not all of our DNA code for genes. Many DNA sequences have functions that we may not know of. If genes that produce pigments are cut out, then the pigments won't be produced, and a person may end up with green or blue eyes. There is no blue pigment. The blue color is produced by molecules in the eye scattering blue light, in much the same way that the molecules in the atmosphere scatter blue light to make the sky look blue. Scientists call this sort of coloration structural color since it is the result of the molecular structure of the chemicals that result in the scattering of blue light.

Cutting off DNA can also cause mutations, and mutations in the worst case can result in cancer.

• 6 months ago

What you're talking about is called a deletion. They are extremely common. Their effect depends on several factors, including exactly what portion of DNA is deleted and what cell they're deleted in. If, for instance, you're talking about deleting an eye color gene from an adult liver cell, it won't have any effect at all.

But if you are a single fertilized egg cell, and you happen to be missing both copies of a gene that you need for building a brain, then you're dead.

• 6 months ago

your eye color is what it is. Your DNA determined the color when you were still in the womb. But now you cannot change it.

You have DNA in every cell in your body. If by some magic you cut off part of that DNA, the cells would be unable to reproduce and you would die.

• 6 months ago

If there is no eye color, your irises would be clear, and appear grey or light Blue. Which is what happens when no color absorbing Melanin is present.

This, from Wikipedia:

"There is no blue pigmentation either in the iris or in the ocular fluid. Dissection reveals that the iris pigment epithelium is brownish black due to the presence of melanin. Unlike brown eyes, blue eyes have low concentrations of melanin in the stroma of the iris, which lies in front of the dark epithelium. Longer wavelengths of light tend to be absorbed by the dark underlying epithelium, while shorter wavelengths are reflected and undergo Rayleigh scattering in the turbid medium of the stroma. This is the same frequency-dependence of scattering that accounts for the blue appearance of the sky. The result is a "Tyndall blue" structural color that varies with external lighting conditions."

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.