Is it safe to not have anti virus on your laptop if you only use it at home for school work and fun like youtube?

Norton Internet Security once warned me on my Android that someone was trying to hack my router.

I never use anti-virus, but I also don't open up questionable files.

No, it is not. Any time your computer is exposed to the outside world it is at risk. That includes being connected to a school network, being connected to the internet in any other way (for instance, YouTube) or connecting or inserting a drive anyone else has given you.

The Windows Defender which you should have built-in is pretty good these days, though it can be slow and cumbersome and certainly throws up a lot of false positives. There are better programs, including free.

• Ivanex

I have no antivirus with windows 8 (but with a set firewall of course)...its all about being carefull (specially those "short url services", they are full of virus and sometimes those websites download files in you system. Inicially they dont do nothing, but if you leave it there you may open it thinking it was an update or a old program you want to install - they usually have a name like "flash4.3-update" and things like that" - and BOOM, hacked) so yeah, you can , but you have to be very carefull

• Fulano

Connecting to the internet at all puts your computer at risk. A big problem is other people on your network, especially at school. All it takes is one person to download a virus and it can spread quickly.

But yes, if you've got Windows 10 then Windows Defender is pretty highly rated.

• keerok

No. .

• David

Windows 10 has its own resident AV windows defender, which is adequate for the home user. If you are running windows 7 or 8 then you definitely need an AV because windows defender isn't as secure under these two OSs

definitely not. "fun" is where malware is found

If you are connected to the internet (for example, to watch YouTube videos) you are at risk.

• Norman

Even YouTube videos could have malware in them. I've not found any yet but you never know.