Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 9 months ago

Would they have found cancer when they took my blood?

They took my blood to test my white blood cells to see if I have an infection which I do. Would they have been able to tell if I had cancer by the blood test?? The doctor called me and said she wanted me to get an ultrasound to see if I have a cyst or anything.. would cancer show up?

Not if they weren't looking for it.

• Pippin

Extremely elevated white blood counts (far beyond what would be seen in an infection) could indicate leukemia. Severe anemia/extremely low counts could also suggest a health problem. But most cancers cannot be diagnosed with a blood test. (And even for leukemia, you would need a bone marrow biopsy to confirm.)

You don't have cancer. You may have a cyst. (Which looks very different from a solid mass on ultrasound.)

they generally only test blood for what the doctor has ordered, not everything under the sun.

Ask your doctor these questions.

• Speed

The only cancer that might accidentally be discovered via blood test looking for something else is leukemia. That's how my husband's leukemia was discovered. There are multiple kinds of leukemia and not all would have been noted, but he had almost no white blood cells when they were looking for a white blood cell count because he wasn't recovering from an illness like he should have been. If your test revealed or confirmed an infection, then you don't have that kind of leukemia.

Other cancers would not be revealed by a simple blood test. Some cancers leave tracers of one kind or another in the blood, but a simple test is not looking for them.

An abnormal growth in the area they're doing the ultrasound on might be visible to the technician, but s/he isn't a doctor and will only note it on the chart, getting images from as many angles as possible, but not discussing it with you because they're not allowed to give diagnoses.

I really don’t know, you should ask your doctor if you have any medical concerns.

• LAN

What? You mean see a medical professional instead of asking random strangers to guess what health problems they have? That's just crazy talk.