Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 9 months ago

I'm a filmmaker and currently writing a short film about abusive relationships and abortions.?

As you've read in the title I'm a filmmaker and I like to cover controversial topics (typically 2 topics into 1 story) iv found success in this so I don't plan on stopping. I like to use facts, opinions and personal stories, makes it much easier to do. I plan to use these films to help people currently in said topics.

So I'm on here today to ask for any personal experiences of being in an abusive relationship and/or in a position where you thought about abortion.

Nothing is being quoted or no names are being taken, just for purpose of my writing, I like to write with raw emotion, being able to understand the position helps me with that.

Thank you.

Just to clarify, I understand that this question isn't the type of question people ask, but in no way am I expecting people to respond if they don't feel comfortable sharing. Some people are more open than others and I respect that.

I apologise for any offence caused by my question, it wasn't my intention! I have asked controversial questions on a public space in the past and never received a backlash, which probs may come a surprise to you hence some of the replies. Again I apologise.

• Marli

What book / internet research have you done so far about abusive relationships and abortions? What are your credentials? You don't need to tell us, but the reason I ask is that I suggest that you interview the people who staff abortion clinics and women's shelters, the police and other first responders, social services and medical professionals and professors. They will want to know what you know about those topics, your credentials, why you want the information and what use you will make of it in your film. You should know your stuff before you ask for interviews.

There is also the confidentiality issue. The staffs can't and won't give you names of their cases. They might - just might - put you in contact with patients / victims who are willing to be interviewed after they've checked on you, and you probably will need legally binding contracts with each person, specifying what you and she will provide and the limits to the use of the personal matter in your film. So I also suggest having a lawyer on retainer.

• Andrew

You call this "research", everybody else refers to it as exactly what it is - laziness. Research is the systematic investigation of a particular subject. There's nothing systematic about an open invitation for strangers to discuss the intimate details of their personal lives. Your reasoning and excuses are both weak and absurd and you won't receive a single reply that will contain any information that might be useful to you. Not to mention that you are not in any position to provide an incentive for people who might be inclined to share to do so. If you want facts, research them properly. If you want opinions and personal stories, procure them with due diligence and respect. The fact that you don't see how your approach is just awful shows that you don't have an understanding of the topics you wish to cover. Whatever "success" you claim to have achieved with past projects must have been achieved by using different tactics, unless you're making it up, which seems more likely.

It's creepy that you're asking people to share something so deeply personal in a public place, even if they can go anonymous to do it.

No way I'm sharing anything that personal online with a complete stranger.

I happen to know a small number of screenwriters who make a living at it. (Nobody you're likely to have heard of, but movies in theaters or on cable TV networks.) They don't go mining the public for their stories. Instead, they use their own experiences, or those of spouses, family, and close friends, as a springboard for research.

I find it inappropriate for you to ask women to share something that for many remains a heartbreaking, gut-wrenching experience all so you can write with *their* raw emotion.

• Andrew

Very well said.

Yikes. This is not the place to ask that kind of question. What you are asking for is very personal and comes with strong (and often painful) emotions for those individuals. Doing it this way is rude, insensitive, and inconsiderate.

Instead of being a lazy writer who does their research on Yahoo, get off the computer and talk to women in your community. Build their trust over time and get to know them before asking for their stories.

• MsBittner

I disagree, Matthew, with your belief that there's nothing wrong with asking. It's way too personal and invasive. You seem to be repeating that asking is the same as research when three respected users have told you it's not.