Lisa M
Lisa M asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 9 months ago

My email was accessed almost 200 times in one day last week as opposed to 10-20 on other days. Was my email hacked?

Also, I got a notification from my online lottery account that it was locked because someone was trying to access it with different passwords. Am I just being paranoid or should I genuinely be worried? How do you know if your email was hacked?

I would be worried AND careful. You should change passwords on any account you own. Don't use your current phone or computer to change the password. Use a library computer or a borrowed one. (Of course, don't let the browser on these computers save teh password.)

Your home computer(s) and phone: Run a full scan, including taking it to a tech if needed to see if you have some sort of keylogger or spyware. Remember, someone got your password, and be careful. Good luck!

• David

I would defintely be worried, go to your settings and change your email password, if you are on gmail then make sure you have 2 factor authentication turned on to prevent unwanted changes to your account password.

• Ron75

You can contact your email provider and tell them what happened and ask them to check their logs. Also change your password to get into your email.

Ron

• Lisa M

I just got an email back from them and they said there is no indication my email was hacked. But I know I didn't log in and out 200 times that day. None of this makes any sense and I feel like I'm losing my mind.