Would a Solid State Drive [256GB in this case] make up for an 'entry level' processor? [An AMD A6-9220e Dual Core]?

As for as speed goes, etc. Thanks.

ALL GREAT ANSWERS!

Thank you very much.

• Fulano

It will make the laptop feel more 'usable' in every day use, the browser will open faster, folders won't take so long to open, it won't take so long to save a file you're working on.

But as others said, it doesn't make the processor faster, so it won't run a game faster, it won't do big CPU task like zipping up files or calculating something complicated faster.

So if the faster load times are what you're meaning, then I'd go for one. It's nice to have the computer boot in 15 seconds.

No. RAM is what the CPU uses because it is much faster than any SSD. The advantage of the SSD's is in loading the initial information into RAM, so boot up is faster and opening programs is faster, but sometimes not noticeably faster depending on the program. Also 256GB, while suitable, is a bit on the small side, where if you are in the position of looking to buy, I would recommend a minimum of 512GB, especially if it is not that much more. In every case, it always depends on what you are trying to do as to what may be causing you a bottleneck in achieving that. When it comes to loading data into RAM, the hard drive speed will be the bottleneck. When it comes to multitasking, CPU cores and/or RAM can be the bottleneck. When it comes to gaming, again it depends on what games you want to play as to whether your CPU, RAM or Video Card will be a potential bottleneck. You can run whatever is giving you undesirable results and look in the Task Manager to see who is maxed out and in need of any upgrade. For example, I noticed the games I am playing nearly maxed out my CPU where my GPU was only getting up to 25% usage. I upgraded the CPU (along with motherboard and RAM) and something interesting happened, not only did the CPU usage drop down to less than 25% usage, but my GPU is now hitting 40% on the same games, meaning that my old CPU was also bottlenecking my GPU. I guess thinking about it, it sort of makes sense why that would be since the GPU is waiting on the CPU that may be tied up with other operations. Your entry level processor may be good enough for your intended purposes but if it is not, there is nothing to get around it other than upgrading the CPU or changing settings in games to a lower resolution with less bells and whistles so that the CPU can keep up. That is what I did before my upgrade, now I have all the bells and whistles and a high resolution and my games run so smooth now.

• Lv 7

to be used for what purpose?

an SSD will increase the speed of even the oldest computer, but if you want to do gaming or video editing, you will want a far faster processor, and preferably a desktop for the option of adding a video card.

it will speed things, yes. no it won't make up for poor speed in the processor. and you likely want 512 Gb size, not 256 ... after windows installs and demands workspace, 256 isn't enough

No, not really.

A solid state drive is a fast hard drive, it will help your computer save and load information faster, but, it will not help your computer process information faster.

There really isn't anything that can replace the function of a processor, other than a faster processor.

Still, an AMD A6-9220e should be great for running any games or software from maybe 4 years ago or older, there's lots of good stuff you can do with it.