Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 9 months ago

What happens when you swallow a small piece of hair? Is it safe?

Every time i pour water in my cup, one or two small pieces of hair enter the water. I have no idea how to prevent that from happening, i have no idea do other people do it. Is it even possible to live in an absolute dust-free clean environment, and all the water you drink is 100 percent clean from any hair or dust substances? is that even possible?

But anyway, what happens to me when i swallow the tiny hair? Am i safe?

Haha I used to actually bite off bits of hair and swallow them when I was little...and I was okay. So it's definitely not dangerous.

I think you're worrying about nothing. You know how much dog and cat fur pet owners ingest? It does nothing bad to us.

oh, cripes, if eating hair was a hazard, we would all be suffering daily.

hair is not digestible, but a single or a few strands of hair is not going to be harmful since it is not toxic either. Cats lick their fur a lot and they may end up with a bunch of hair in their stomachs, and they may regurgitate them as hairballs. A few strands of hair should pass right through our digestive system without problem and end up in the sewage system. .

We swallow small amounts of dust and hair every day. We evolved to live with it. The environment in which we live is far from sterile. If you did spend a few days in a sterile environment, it would take some time to acclimatise to the real world. My grandmother had an expression "You swallow a ton of muck before you die."