promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 9 months ago

What happens when you swallow a small piece of hair? Is it safe?

Every time i pour water in my cup, one or two small pieces of hair enter the water. I have no idea how to prevent that from happening, i have no idea do other people do it. Is it even possible to live in an absolute dust-free clean environment, and all the water you drink is 100 percent clean from any hair or dust substances? is that even possible?

But anyway, what happens to me when i swallow the tiny hair? Am i safe?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago

Haha I used to actually bite off bits of hair and swallow them when I was little...and I was okay. So it's definitely not dangerous.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 months ago

I think you're worrying about nothing. You know how much dog and cat fur pet owners ingest? It does nothing bad to us.

• 9 months ago

oh, cripes, if eating hair was a hazard, we would all be suffering daily.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

hair is not digestible, but a single or a few strands of hair is not going to be harmful since it is not toxic either. Cats lick their fur a lot and they may end up with a bunch of hair in their stomachs, and they may regurgitate them as hairballs. A few strands of hair should pass right through our digestive system without problem and end up in the sewage system. .

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 months ago

We swallow small amounts of dust and hair every day. We evolved to live with it. The environment in which we live is far from sterile. If you did spend a few days in a sterile environment, it would take some time to acclimatise to the real world. My grandmother had an expression "You swallow a ton of muck before you die."

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.