j asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 11 months ago

If I finance a 2010 Prius with 99,000 miles is the hybrid battery still under warranty? Or does that not apply if I didn’t buy it new?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago

Unlikely the batteries are still covered by the wsrranty

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 11 months ago

Unless you live in California then the warranty has now expired on the main traction battery.

Buy they are almost unknown to fail except after being damaged in collisions or by other mishaps.

The traction battery deliberately uses an older tech highly-reliable NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride) battery. Toyota also don’t stress the battery, so when it shows 100% charge it is really only at about 80% and when totally depleted it actually has something like 15-20% charge remaining. The battery will slowly degrade over time but that spare unused capacity enables the car firmware to hide that from showing any effect at all for a very long time.

My dad sold his Prius Mk1 last year: it had over 300k miles and was built in 1997. At the last service by his local Lexus dealer (All Lexus models are designed and built by Toyota) the official Hybrid Health Check gave the hybrid drive system including the traction battery a clean bill of health. That is normal and not unusual for old Toyota hybrids.

• May
    Lv 6
    11 months ago

The warranty is transferable.....But... I believe the warranty is only good for 100,000 miles. If so, you would be close to having no warranty.

Financing has nothing in the world to do with a warranty

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Doesn't matter if you finance it or pay cash. The FACTORY warranty is the same, and the clock starts from the day that the first owner takes possession. From what I can find, the battery warranty on a 2010 Prius Hybrid is 96 months (8 years) or 100,000 miles. That means the warranty on the car you're looking at is expired.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    11 months ago

Took a 10 second google search to find your answer. Wonder why you could not have done that?

"The battery pack in any hybrid Toyota is warranted either for 10 years or 150,000 miles (in states with California emissions laws) or 8 years or 100,000 miles in all other states." And, he adds, "There's no pro-rating at all. The battery will be replaced at no cost if necessary during the warranty period."

Toyota says the battery pack is one of the least-frequently replaced items across all Prius models. And some proportion of the packs it has to replace haven't failed, but were damaged in collisions or other accidents.

That was from May 2011.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/105...

Found a 2018 Answer from a Toyota dealers website....Toyota Prius Battery Warranty

The battery on Toyota hybrid models, such as the Toyota Prius, is engineered for long-term performance. Thus, drivers around Cerritos will find impressive warranty coverage on their hybrid model. In the state of California, the warranty for a Toyota Prius is good for 10 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first. In other states, the hybrid battery warranty is good for 8 years or 100,000 miles. However, it is not at all uncommon for a Toyota Prius battery to last upwards of 200,000 miles. Of course, it depends on your hybrid driving habits.

---------

The start date of warranty work is the date the car was purchased brand new and any Toyota service department can tell you that date with the vin #.

Assuming you are not in CA, the 8 years is almost certainly expired as I cannot imagine any new car dealer sitting on a 2010 model past 8/11. The prior owner may have had the same concerns about the battery as you do. That's why he sold or traded it?

• Phil M
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Not unless the battery was replaced. I wouldn't think a battery could have much of a warranty. Better read the fine print.

• 11 months ago

Why don't you ask the people giving the warranty? That might be the dealer (who might be giving a warranty on his own) or the manufacturer.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.