Does New York City get heatwaves in December?

I know it's winter when it's December in New York City. A friend of mine went there in early-mid December 2015.

One of the days, she commented that it was "boiling" and wore a tshirt and jeans around town.

However, her other days were cold and frosty.

I don't know if she was exaggerating a sunny winter day, but does NYC get the odd warm day in the middle of winter?

Favorite Answer

"boiling" is a relative term. It is possible to get temps into the 70s F in NYC in December. Not very common though. I just looked up record highs for central park in December (daily highs) and the range is from 58 to 75 degrees. 6 out out of the 31 days had a max temp in the 70s. It can happen. I wouldn't call it a heat wave though.

It's not rare to have a day with a high of 65ºF and sunny. Some may consider that to be "boiling".

2015, X-mas day, central park hit a record 72ºF.

Typical December weather in New York has a high in the forties (fahrenheit). An uncommonly warm day might be near sixty or even in the low sixties--suitable for a T-shirt and jeans if you're moving around, but not "boiling."

No they do not, she was exaggerating.