Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareFirst Aid · 11 months ago

Can a minor get stitches without parents?

I just accidentally cut my finger a almost an hour ago and it clearly needs stitches. It is relatively large, has visible tissue, and keeps bleeding but my dad refuses to take me to get it looked at by a doctor because he’d rather sleep instead. Is there anyway I could go to the hospital by myself?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Roddy
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Provided the doctor believes that you are mature enough to give INFORMED consent to the treatment then he must treat you in any emergency even if your parents are not around.

You may, however, have to pay for the treatment and therefore need sufficient funds with you.

For a more precise answer we would need to know in which country you are as rules can be different. In the UK anyone from 16 upwards is totally responsible for their own treatments. From 12 upwards, most will be regarded as competent, particularly for something as simple as stitches (and the loxal anaesthetic that may need to be used).

The fact that you have gone to the doctor or ER because of continued bleeding is one proof that you are a responsible person and effectively 'competent'.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 11 months ago

Yes. And if you have a real medical emergency they must treat you. A guardian being there can be sorted later.

Peace.

• jimmy
    Lv 5
    11 months ago

Finger's a long way from the heart boy, rub some dirt on it and get back to work.

• 11 months ago

in uk yes

get another adult to take you - a neighbour a relative

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.