That depends on many factors including your age, maturity, financial independence, and life goals. In general, a couple shouldn't get engaged until they reach these milestones:
1. They've known each other at least one year.
2. They've met the other person's family, friends, and co-workers.
3. Each person is done with education or career training and are working at least a year.
4. Each person is 100% financially self-supporting.
5. You have discussed and agree on financial, career, and lifestyle, as well as share important values and beliefs.