Wes Selix asked in PetsDogs · 11 months ago

How to stop a dog from barking at you?

I recently moved in with mt dads girlfriend and my dad and she has a dog a big dog part german shepard and whenever it sees me it gets close to me and barks and when i walk toward her she runs away tbis has been happeneing for a couple weeks ever since we moved inbit she doesnt bark at my dad. It mostly happens when i walk out of my room or into the house or when my dad or his girlfriend are home its like she prote ts them or shows off to them which doesnt sound rigbt but are there any tips i can get to maybe let the dog know im not a threat or trying to hurt anyone even when i play with my dog that i raised she barks at me and one time she even lightly bit my elbow to make me stop.

Talk to the girlfriend and ask if you can be the one to feed and walk the dog. Something about you this dog sees as a threat. Make it realize you are the source of good things.

If this dog is nipping you, though, TALK TO YOUR FATHER. Whose house is this? His or hers? And are you a teenager that HAS to live there with them or an adult that is just freeloading off them?

You have not explained WHY...your father, nor his GF (the owner) of said dog and the two most adult persons, are NOT CORRECTING the dog for the barking. They own the home and the dog and THEY NEED TO TAKE CHARGE of the situation!

I agree most with Jojo. The dog is a BAG of nerves and/or anxiety and (probably poorly socialized with people or other pets). Do they KNOW the dog has nipped/bitten you? That needs to be addressed (by them and with the help of a professional dog trainer or animal behaviorist) the vet can recommend - because a dog who bites in FEAR or over-excitement is a DANGER (to not just you) - but to *ANYONE* who comes over. And that can mean being SUED if somebody else gets bitten (+ raised home owner insurance rates) or the dog being PUT DOWN, by Animal Control.

Isn't this up to the owners of this dog to correct? If the dog has already nipped you, this is a serious injury in the waiting. I was bitten on the elbow, from behind, by a Bloodhound who lived on the property I was temporarily living on. She knew me, but this happened as, with my back turned to her, I was loading their washing machine, which I had to use for the time being. Luckily I had a thick coat on and it was only superficial. A few weeks later the dog lunged at some people collecting their dog from boarding (it was a Boarding kennel) and caught the woman on the face. She was then put down.

Please don't let the same thing happen to you! You should speak to the owners about what's going on, for sure. If nothing else.

• Jojo

Was it the woman or the dog that was put down V? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 ( sorry, couldn`t resist) lol.

This is a territorial behavior that should have already been corrected by the dog's owner(s) a long time ago. Unless the dog's owners are willing to work on properly training the dog, the behavior will likely continue. The dog has come to believe that the home is HIS space, not the space of his owners. If the dog respected the home as the territory of his OWNERS, he would not behave this way. The dog does not view you as a threat. If the dog viewed you as a threat, you would see lip curling, growling, snarling, and snapping. The dog views you as an INTRUDER, and a threat and intruder are not necessarily one in the same as far as a dog is concerned, so trying to demonstrate to the dog that you are not a "threat" is not going to make a difference. He already knows you are not a threat. Again, he is being TERRITORIAL, and views you as an intruder in his space. Your dad and his girlfriend have really dropped the ball when it comes to properly training and socializing the dog. A dog must not be allowed to develop the mentality that the house or anything in the house belongs to him. When a dog is allowed to think that way, you end up with a badly behaved dog just like the one you are now living with. The problem is completely correctable, but it must be done by his owners.

• Jojo

That`s a very plausible answer, but without knowing how the dog gets along with the other dog (and info about it), that belongs to the OP, and how old the dog is etc, without more info this can also only be a guess. Need to know how the dog reacts to the OP away from the house.

• Jojo

The dog sounds like a `nerve bag` if it runs when you walk towards it, and after two week of you living in the house and being accepted by your dad and his g/f, then the dog SHOULD have got used to you as being part of the pack.

You indicate that YOU also have a dog living in the house. What breed and and what gender is that dog?

Do the two dogs get along?

But as Maxi days, what does your Dad & G/f do about it when the dog barks at you? Do they just allow it to do this?

How Old is this dog and what exercise and training does it receive regularly?

I can only guess that this dog has weak nerves or /and is extremely under socialised as I cannot see its body language (and yours) or know its history.

There is not enough information to be able to give you any positive advice on this issue. Sorry.

Source(s): GSD owner for 56 years. (UK)
  • Maxi

....and why is your dad and his gf not correcting this anxious dog? As unless they do it is likely to turn into a bite