Ana
Ana asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 10 months ago

How to file a mechanics lien for unpaid paint work in Virginia, for a commercial property, when we don’t know who the owner of property is?

If you don't even know who owns this property how are you going to prove that they contracted you to do the work? If the GC hired you then the GC owes you for the work (not the owner). Putting a lien on the job should get you paid when the GC gets paid.

The owner can be found through the property appraiser. That said who hired you?

GIS (geographic information system) available on probably every county web site in the U.S. You can find publicly available information on any lot, including owner name and other pertinent data.

If you don't know who the owner is, do you have a claim ? The property did not ask you to do paint work did it?

My very limited understanding is you don't need to know, you are filing it on the property.

But, that information should be public record. Either by phone or in person at the tax accessors office if not online. In my county, I can lookup any property or name online. Now, they don't list phone numbers and corporations wont say who owns them.

I guess you are talking about a renter. I'm an owner. I never duped anyone.