Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 12 months ago

is It my fault or my employers fault?

Payday had came and no paycheck in my account I use direct deposit, so I went into work and realized I had left a number off my account so I fixed it, in the meantime a newer member of payroll decided to pay me my paycheck in cash, I did not sign anything! She just handed me cash in front of a assistant manager and I left. With no evidence other then their word. They said the paycheck would bounce back to them from the error I had to fix, it never did. It ended up in my account my paycheck! Now because there is no paperwork I signed that they gave cash, would it be their fault that it’s now in my bank? It just looks like I got paid my regular check on payroll....not my fault, what would you do?

Favorite Answer

They definitely have legal standing to sue you for the money unless you are willing to lie about receiving the cash. In that case they have multiple witnesses that they paid you in cash (very bad idea) that would probably result in a successful lawsuit against you. You would, of course, also lose your job.

• `

Either way, the money isn't yours and they will figure this out. Take the money back right away.

• Maxi

Pay the money back you owe the business.....you know you were paid in cash regardless of not signing for it, it was witnessed and you are going to end up being sacked if you think it is acceptable to steal this money from your employer

• Athena

The point is it is THEIR word. Two witnesses against some one who alleges they left a number off their direct deposit form.

You were paid twice and that is an error. They are entitled to make errors and you do not have the right to keep the extra money. It would be the same as if they forgot to pay you at all. They would STILL owe you the money if they made THAT mistake, right?

Right now you can be charged with theft and not only that, but fired.

You should give them the cash back, or arrange for that to be your next paycheck in advance.

The last thing you'll want to do is claim that they never paid you that cash because there were two people there that witnessed it, including one that can likely fire you.

Give the money back NOW. If you don't, they will consider you a thief and fire you. And it will be on your record.

Be prepared to hand the total amount of cash back when they ask for it. Get a receipt, however.

yes it is their fault. the employer should have caught that your direct deposite didn't go throught because of the lacking number to begin with. second they should have contacted you asap to fix it because they can't set up direct deposit otherwise. 3rd they should have NOT given you any cash as payment which leads to the 4th issue. if your direct deposit didn't link to your bank account due to the lacking number you left out and even if they were lazy as hell to tell you about it then they would have to issue you a regular paper check which you get from wherever ( i get mine in the mail since my company doesn't do the payroll but other companies we just pick it up at the companies office/HR office on payday ).

keep the money for now because YES the check might bounce i would assume. had that happen to me once when i sold a gift card online check they sent me got lost i guess or came late so i asked for a new one. then both came in one bounced the other went through. it takes time. nothing is really instant. i always make purchases using my card and they don't deduct it that very same day it gets deducted maybe 2 days from when it was purchased at the latest but usually 1 day at least.

Fault is irrelevant. You were overpaid. Are you expecting or hoping to keep it without them figuring it out?

If they do, you wont get another paycheck and you will be fired. And, they could even sue you over it although they probably would not bother.

We were not allowed to cash paychecks when I ran a pizza hut 33 years ago when Pizza Huts used to actually be places where people went for good pizza. Now, its just a crappy delivery place not any better and maybe worse than the others.

Back then, we served the best chain pizza, by far. That was before delivery.

Give the money back your gonna lose if it goes to court, or at least your job