Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 6 months ago

Can't connect to wifi because of incorrect security key?

Network requires security key, so I put in the correct security key, but it refuses to accept it, saying that it's incorrect. Same thing on my other devices, wrong key. Heres some things I tried;

1) Restarted modem, router, and computer

2) Updated drivers to latest

3) Changed security type to WPA2-PSK and encryption to AES

4) Used original password on router

5) Manually setting up and connecting the wifi

I was hoping I could find other solutions to try here before I would have to call in an expert.

• GTB

You are getting an error message indicating incorrect security key; check out the config of the device to see what the proper security key is and use it.

• Roddy

Presuming that you control the router, you will have the admin ID and Password.

Log in to the router's admin interface (connecting your computer to the router with an Ethernet cable).

Go,to the WiFi settings and DELETE the existing password/key. Now enter a new password and confirm it. Make sure that you will remember it and that it doesn't include any illegal characters.

On your computer and other devices using wifi, delete the WiFi password/key and enter the replacement one.

Restart the router. All should now work correctly.

• Pete L

This usually happens when one of the characters is a different case to the expected one. For instance, if the correct password is Apple, if you entered it as apple that would be wrong because the computer expects you to also use a capital A.

If any other device is connected to the wifi, you can check the password under LAN settings.

• Bill-M

You made all those changes to the router. Why didn't you look in the WIFI Security Section of the router and take note of the Password??

You've been hacked and the key has been changed. Delete the network and reset the router.