Which are the countries which celebrate their independence day on January 1st?
- TangiLv 79 months ago
Some countries have their national day celebrating their independence on the 1st of January :
- Sudan : from the UK in 1956
- Haiti : from France in 1804
- Slovakia : from Czechoslovakia, although it's more of about the country being created by the dissolution of Czechoslovakia in several parts than about becoming independent from a ruling country.
- Samoa : from New Zealand in 1962
Some countries had their independence on a 1st of January but don't celebrate it as a national day :
- Australia : from the UK in 1901 (ND on 26th of Januray : Founding of Sidney)
- Cameroun : from France in 1960 (ND on 20th of May : Creation of the Cameroun Republic)
- Brunei : from the UK in 1984 (a weird case because they do celebrate their independence, but not on the date of independence. The ND is on the 23rd of February)
Some countries have their national day on the 1st of January, but it's not about independence :
- China : proclamation of the Republic of China in 1912
- Cuba : overthrow of the Bautista regime
Few countries celebrate their national day (or independence) with as much enthusiasm as the US.
- BillLv 69 months ago
only in america is independence day celebrated