Helen asked in Games & RecreationGambling · 9 months ago

Cashier keeping printed lottery ticket?

Twice when I've tried to buy lottery tickets, the cashier would automatically print off the random tickets without asking if I want to choose my numbers. Then when I correct them and say "I want to choose my numbers" they say "oh okay" and then they keep the previous printed ones. Is that allowed?

• Mark

They will likely just give them to the next customer that asks for easy pic. When it's busy, I've seen them just continually print tix for the lineup of buyers to move it along.

What would you expect them to do with the tickets? Toss them in the trash? At the end of the cashiers shift the tickets which were printed but not paid for have to be accounted for. They get counted up and if there's one or more missing, the cashier can wind up in trouble.

You're supposed to fill out the form with your chosen numbers first before purchasing. If you don't see one, ask if they have any.

Don't blame the cashier for your ignorance of not telling them beforehand that you want to pick your own numbers.

You watch her take them home? Or is she putting them somewhere to void them later? Or give to the next person who buys a random ticket?

They know how many tickets were sold and how much money should be in the register.

• Cantra

Over here in the UK we use a slip that you mark your numbers down on, and that gets fed into a machine. I can't imagine having to list numbers out at a counter, lol.

I assume every voided ticket needs to be accounted for in some way with the lottery company itself to prove the ticket was retained and not actually sold to a customer. The cashier isn't keeping it as a freebie, if they want to play using it, it's gotta be paid for in some way and it will be coming out of the kiosk's earnings.

As long as she pays for them.

Well, they aren't going to give them to you unless you are going to pay for them.