Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 6 months ago

What's the punishment/kaffarra for being caught urinating in Islam?

I'm visiting a part of India with no toilets (which is common, over half the population doesn't have toilets). So I had to relieve myself in a field. A guy came and saw my lady part midstream. He got a long look as I needed to finish emptying and then wash myself (with a jug I brought from the village).

What is the kaffarra for this?

• Kin

The fact a stranger saw you doing your business and didn't turn away, that's his own fault and his own sin. If you did your best in doing your business in private. The perverted stranger, will be dealt with I believe.

Under Modi that is no longer true. I think over 90 percent of Indians have toilets now. There is no punishment as long as you were veiled.

Here is a hadith on the subject

Narrated `Aisha:

The wives of the Prophet (ﷺ) used to go to Al-Manasi, a vast open place (near Baqi` at Medina) to answer the call of nature at night. `Umar used to say to the Prophet (ﷺ) "Let your wives be veiled," but Allah's Apostle did not do so. One night Sauda bint Zam`a the wife of the Prophet (ﷺ) went out at `Isha' time and she was a tall lady. `Umar addressed her and said, "I have recognized you, O Sauda." He said so, as he desired eagerly that the verses of Al-Hijab (the observing of veils by the Muslim women) may be revealed. So Allah revealed the verses of "Al-Hijab" (A complete body cover excluding the eyes).

Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 146

In-book reference : Book 4, Hadith 12

USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 1, Book 4, Hadith 148

(deprecated numbering )

his punishment is he has to poop for a week without wiping