Lisa asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 6 months ago

I live in CT and was stung by little bees in my flower garden. I have never felt such pain! they were small black and yellow?

Your description sounds like they were yellow jacket wasps, not bees!

• R K

it was probably a wasp, not a bee.

Probably a wasp, also know as a yellowjacket. Bees, in general, are very docile and reluctant to sting unless seriously threatened or their nest is threatened, principally because they usually only have one shot and then they die.. Wasps aren't so gentlemanly (or is it ladylike) and are far more short-fused and willing to sting, and they can sting many times.. And yes, it hurts. Furthermore, if you swat one it will emit a distress pheromone and others who get wind of it will turn up.

• Edwena

That is a yellow jacket which is a hornet. Some of them nest in the ground, others make the hornet nest in the tree that is famous in cartoons. The sting is a lot worse than a bee or a wasp.

Yellow jack wasps. Very aggressive. 90% of bees are docile and many don't even have stingers. People need to stop blaming bees every time they get stung. Bees are important pollinators and without them - no food. The are endangered by "hive collapse" - the true cause of which is unknown. It might have something to do with people blindly spraying poison on anything that remotely looks like a stinging insect.

You mean you got yourself into a hornet's nest. Well fortunately wow painful most people live through getting stung by hornets. yep watch yourself when working around in the garden I accidentally stepped in a hornet's nest when I was picking up pine straw and before I knew it I had a thousand angry hornet after my butt!

• Snezzy

1. They were wasps known as yellow jackets. They are not bees.

2. They usually live in the ground.

3. They generally won't bother you unless you attack their home.

4. Stepping on (or digging into) their home is an attack.

5. They somehow know how to gang up on people.

6. Application of a paste of baking soda and papaya juice can help.

7. Now you know which part of your flower garden to avoid.