Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceEconomics · 6 months ago

How does an economic recession affect a retail worker who is on union?

I work in a grocery store stocking produce and I’m protected by union. My company and union have a policy where if you work at least 8 weeks of 40 hours you legally default into full time meaning that legally the company can’t give you less than 40 hours once you default into full time. I’ve worked 40 hours a week for 16 weeks straight. So if I had my hours cut, the union would sue the company. So what’s the worst that could happen to me in a recession, me and my parents live in an apartment in Chicago. So if this country goes into a recession that everybody keeps anticipating, how would it directly affect me?

I’m just asking will a recession affect me at a minimum wage grocery store job.

• Oiy

A retail business can survive during the recession like hospital or physical therapy. It's obvious because people have to eat. But last time it might affect you and your family due to the subprime, or you entered the property market. This time the recession will go to Wall Street, not the property market.

You can be fired or even worse your grocery store could go bankrupt and close down. Unions will not protect you from economic turndowns. In fact, they could make matters worse by attempting to prevent layoffs when they are the only economic recourse to preventing closure of the enterprise.

• Travis6 months agoReport

If I get laid off I would want the entire company to shutdown. I feel like if I go down I want everybody else to go down with me. That’s just my mentality, I’m looking out for what’s best for just me, I don’t care about anybody else in the company.

• Rick B

Gotta love those unions. They'd rather shut a business down than let an owner do what's best for the company.