Sick for four months with mononucleosis, is that normal?

47 y.o. male in otherwise good health. No medications, no other medical issues.

I used to work out and run regularly prior to testing positive April 2019.

Symptoms: Malaise, fatigue, lower back pain, various other body aches and pains.

When I tried resuming physical activity, even gentle exertion results in what I found is called "post exertional malaise": a feeling of sickness that lasts for days after a mere 10 minute jog. Prior to infection, I would do 50 minute jogs every other day and feel great. Now I feel sick for days after even a short gentle jog. This is four months after infection. All online sources say I should be back to normal after two months, tops. What is going on? How long will this last? Is this another illness? Thanks.

• Blonde
    Best Answer

Get you ANA tested, electrolytes and vitamin levels checked. And while at it, a full blood panel. You may have something else like Lymes or Lupus. Your thyroid maybe out of whack. Make an appointment with your doctor, request a full work-up of your blood...it shows everything. And never take fluoride drugs, like ciprofloxin, matter of fact, add it to your list of drug allergies, this way they will never be prescribed to you.

I would not call it normal, but it happens sometimes.

Are you certain that it was mono? It is very unusual for somebody your age to get mono. Most are immune by that time.

Anyhow, if you were bedridden for that long, for any reason, your muscles will have atrophied and you will need to build them up gradually.

And I concur that you should see a doctor and get a full workup. Physical therapy and/or Chiropractic may be needed.

it dont sound normal, i would go see your doctor about it and get checked out