How do i stop feeling like a failure?

I recently had my daugher by energency c section, and i feel like i havnt given birth to her, i also feel like i have let her due to not breast feeding, i started off fine and a student midwife ruined it by feeding her out of a bottle, now my baby wont latch, i feel like a complete let down and dont how to feel better

Favorite Answer

Go to the La Leche League: they'll teach you how to breastfeed. Sometimes it takes a few days. Call your doctor and get evaluated for Post Partum Depression. It sounds like you have it.

You're doing fine. One in four women get a C-section. Plenty of babies struggle to learn how to latch. This is normal.

• Pippin

With significant nursing issues an IBCLC certified instructor is going to be better than La Leche League.

It seems you have PPD. Try going out for a while to get fresh air. I used to drink "Postpartum Recovery Tea" which gave me great relief from PPD.

I had my baby via c section too.. that is MAJOR surgery and you shouldn't feel like a failure just because you didn't have her naturally..

You can read a book about bottle feeding. You can also express milk with a breast pump and give her that from a bottle. Both my babies were bottle fed with expressed milk and then forumula. It's not idea but it's fine. My first baby and my friends baby were cesearan births and they both refused the breast for no reason mine would become extremely upset and scream and push it away when he was otherwise a happy little guy who loved cuddles the only other time he screamed like that was because he didn't like being in a cot and wanted to be cuddled all the time but breast feeding no way My best friend's baby was the same. I can only think it was maybe because the milk came in late because the c-sections were not natural then the babies became frustrated and angry and didn't want to try again. But mine was so sweet and happy to take his bottle.

• TheBellJar

You also NEED a test for postnatal depression. My friend was blaming herself and I thought she had PND her mother and husband wouldn't listen to me. But then she did the test, a high score was 11 and she scored 21! Because she went through it first I didn't blame myself and I did not get depressed.

• Pippin

You don't say how long it has been. If it's just been a few days, you should be able to breatfeed, with professional help and support.

The birth? It's normal to feel disappointed that you didn't get the birth you envisioned. But you did do what you had to go protect your baby's well-being.

If you continue to feel very blue snd/or its interfering with your ability to care for your baby or yourself, there could be some PPD, so talk to your O B or midwife.

• jlb

I don't know what to tell you about your disappointing birth. It may just be something you need to grieve and move on from. You did give birth, just not the way you imagined it.

If baby is still young, you can certainly still breastfeed. A couple of bottle feedings won't ruin that. Put baby to the breast every time she gives hunger cues, pump after each nursing and offer that milk in a bottle or with an SNS. And most importantly, contact an IBCLC for some one on one support.

Your poor child. Deprived of the joy of being squeezed out through your Woo Haa like the last bit of tooth paste.

by realizing god dont make junk