Is it rude to tell someone they should tip when they go out to eat?

I told my friend that he should tip at least 5 - 15 percent of his meal to his server when he goes out to eat. He said he doesn't make enough from his job to tip. I told him he should stay home and eat then until he can pay people appropriately for their services. He cursed me out, told me I was out of line and... show more I told my friend that he should tip at least 5 - 15 percent of his meal to his server when he goes out to eat. He said he doesn't make enough from his job to tip. I told him he should stay home and eat then until he can pay people appropriately for their services. He cursed me out, told me I was out of line and he is an adult that doesn't need anyone dictating his actions. Was I rude or in the wrong for telling him to show a little common courtesy to another working individual?