Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 6 months ago

Is it rude to tell someone they should tip when they go out to eat?

I told my friend that he should tip at least 5 - 15 percent of his meal to his server when he goes out to eat. He said he doesn't make enough from his job to tip. I told him he should stay home and eat then until he can pay people appropriately for their services. He cursed me out, told me I was out of line and he is an adult that doesn't need anyone dictating his actions. Was I rude or in the wrong for telling him to show a little common courtesy to another working individual?

It's not rude to say ONCE, 'You know, people kind of expect a tip when you go out to eat'.

It's rude to nag on about it.

• GEEGEE

Eh, not rude but not necessary for the most part either. Most people in the US are aware that tipping is expected, and in the case of this person, choose not to do so. You made your point and he responded so I'd be inclined to just call it a day, and/or not eat out with him any more if it bothers you enough.

Yes. You are, of course, free to share your opinion. Just realize that you aren't in charge of your friend's attitudes or behaviors. He clearly knows that tipping is expected and has decided that he doesn't care.

• PAMELA

You were in the wrong, it is really none of your business whether he tips or not, all i know is if he does not tip and goes back to the same place he will get lousy service, and you never mess with people who handle your food!

• edward

I work at the hospital, patients don’t tip me. Waiters and waitresses, while i understand their purpose make minimum wage. I do tip 20% when i go out and i even tip maids when i stay in a hotel and gas jockeys who fill my tank and wash my windows. Common in western culture but in any other country it’s absurd. Does he tip the bartender when he goes out for drinks? As a casual bartender i can say that i really get upset when customers don’t tip, i expect people to tip all the time, when people don’t i know i can spend more time getting their drinks ready because they don’t pay extra for stellar service. That’s what tips are for. Stellar service, i don’t pay extra for mediocre

• edward

Sounds like life sucks where you live. Don’t they have a labour board to stop things like that from happening? I used to help out when i worked in a hotel as banquets i worked a little in the restaurant, i made the same amount as everyone else. Minimjm wage.

If it's that important to you why didn't you just pay the extra tip? Since you are so generous with someone else's money, you should be willing to pay it.

No, you are correct. If a person cannot afford to tip their waiter when they eat or drink in restaurants or bars, they should not be going out. Just because a person is poor doesn't mean they should make another person poor by stealing their time.

Your friend is a selfish moron.

If you both live where servers get paid a sub minimum wage, and so depend on tips to make a basic living, such as North America, then yes, you have to leave a tip of at least 10%-15% unless the service was seriously bad.

If your selfish friend doesn't want to do that, tell him to eat at fast food places where you get your food at the counter.

• drip

Telling him about tipping wasn’t rude, but telling him he should not go out to eat if he can’t tip was rude. You’re not his mom. He doesn’t want to tip.

Make sure to have separate checks when you go out to eat with him and hand your tip to the waiter.

i dont think so, i think hes rude for not tipping

• Anna

Maybe he can't afford it Pearl. The laws in America for waiters and waitresses should change for them to get paid a decent wage so that customers don't feel forced to tip.