Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 12 months ago

What animal is easier to take care of? A cat or a fish?

(Please provide a detailed explanation why. Thank you!)

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 12 months ago

Put a fish and a cat in the same room and lock the door. Come back in 1 hour and you will have your answer.

• 12 months ago

fish for sure. you can have fish and go on trips for a longer time without having to ask someone to take care of your fish.

• Anonymous
    12 months ago

fish all u do is feed it and change water

• 12 months ago

A cat because the fish is more delicate and wont last as long.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    12 months ago

They are so very different its not that easy to just say one is easier then the other. Fish can be a lot of money invested in proper size tanks, filters, heaters, landscaping, and the fish itself. You would need to let the tank set up for about a month to have the water at the proper levels in PH, etc and test for that. Tropical fish need a minimum of 10-15 gallons for about 5-6 fish. Betta need 5 gallons minimum and you can only have one male Betta in the tank. Goldfish need a minimum of 25-30 gallons for ONE goldfish and tropical fish and goldfish can never be in the same tank.

A cat would need food, litter, beds, toys, and a tall treehouse/scratching post (minimum of 5 or 6 feet tall) and you would have the expenses of spay/neuter, shots and the shots would be given every few years.

So I don't know how you really can compare which is easier to take care of. If the electric goes out in your house, your fish could easily die in a short time.

• Anonymous
    12 months ago

Both take effort.

Fish aren't as easy as people think either. They're one of the most mistreated and neglected species of animals we keep especially when it involves the Betta and the Goldfish. No a little vase or container isnt acceptable and no a goldfish bowl or smaal tank isn't acceptable either. They need a lot more space than people realise. It is also myth that a fish will naturally grow to suit it's surroundings better. NO IT WILL STUNT AND DIE PREMATURELY. Goldfish for example should be living up to 10 years with proper tank size and correct care, while Betta fish can get up to 5 years (7 If you're real lucky and good at its care). 30 to 40 gallon is the MINIMUM tank just for 1 or 2 Goldies and you will need to add 10 gallons onto that for each additional goldfish. Also you do still need to treat your sick fish. One sick fish can kill off your entire tank if you leave it untreated (and yes there are veterinarians that specialize in aquatic species including fish). Other things to worry about -

▪Tank placement.

▪The right type of filter.

▪Regular water changes.

▪Temperature (even for cold water varieties).

▪Water conditioning.(our drinking water just as it is can kill them)

▪Testing your tank to keep an eye on the pH/nitrates/nitrite levels.

▪The right food for that species.

Avoid Pet Shop fish and if at any point you want to get rid of your fish DO NOT DUMP THEM OUT INTO THE WILD.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

CATS they need to be kept inside no matter where you live because a free roaming cat is a pest to neighbors and local native wildlife. It's also a danger to itself so if you truly must let it outside then do so by using a secured Catio you can connect to your home with.

Actually PLAY with your cat. Get a variety of different toys and PLAY. Also a variety of scratching posts for them.

I'd also reccomend adopting as these cats often come already fixed, vetted, vaccinated, wormed, and chipped. You need to do your cat food research and either avoid (or keep it as a controlled amount little snack) dry food. You'll need two litter boxes for one cat and you will need to add 1 more box onto that for each additional cat (2 cats = 3 litter boxes). AVOID dusty litters in you can.

GROOM your cat too so brush them out a couple times a week, trim their claws every 2 weeks, and clean out their ears with cat safe ear cleaner on a cotton ball once a month.

Yearly check ups are important and once a cat hits 10 years it is wise go take them in twice a year.

• 12 months ago

If you're that lazy you have to have others tell you what you could look up on the internet you shouldn't have ANY pets.

• 12 months ago

in my opinion, a cat is easier to take care of than fish.

cats do not need very much attention unless they are kittens. all you have to do is feed the cat, occasionally change the litter box, and give it love. what i do is i just keep a whole tub of their food out so they can eat whenever they need, and you can also buy those self cleaning litterboxes (very expensive though). cats arent usually messy as some say, or at least mine arent. sure theres the occasional hairball or something ripped up. but if fed well and treated with care, they will be on best behaviour.

Now with fish, you would think "they cant go anywhere, its too easy!" but if youre thinking on getting something other than a Beta fish, its hard work, and EXPENSIVE. i just have Loaches at the moment but used to have many others. a tank that needs a filter and a heater usually cost over 50$. and cleaning tanks that are 10 gallons or more is a very big process. changing water, cleaning the glass, changing the filters, adding water conditioner, etc... for me it takes around 2 hours. and i have to do it atleast one every 1 or 2 weeks, or algae build up becomes insane. BUT if you are just looking for simple fish, get a beta, they barely need ANYTHING. goldfish are somewhat easy as well, the downside is that they cant be with other species of fish (they will eat them,) but the plus side is that you can have more than one goldfish unlike betas.

• 12 months ago

probably a fish since cats will chew wires etc.,

• Anonymous
    12 months ago

Depends on the cat, depends on the fish. But there are many fish that are easier to keep than a cat. But you get back what you invested. You aren't going to get the emotional return from a fish like you are from a cat, which is why a cat is (generally) more upkeep.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.