Just how influenced were the Beatles by other people?

I know that when the Beatles first started, they basically looked like typical Americans from the Midwest, dressed in leather jackets and slick hair. I believe Gene Vincent had a hand in that. They did rockabilly song covers and were named the Quarrymen. When they finally "became" the Beatles as we know... show more I know that when the Beatles first started, they basically looked like typical Americans from the Midwest, dressed in leather jackets and slick hair. I believe Gene Vincent had a hand in that. They did rockabilly song covers and were named the Quarrymen.

When they finally "became" the Beatles as we know them, dressed in suit and ties and singing in unison, they took that directly from the Everly Brothers as well as possibly Buddy Holly and the Crickets.

The Beatles had a huge influence on many Garage rock bands that would spring up, but I am certain the Beatles were influenced by many of them as well. These bands took what the Beatles did (and Stones) and started coming with their own sounds, and were a lot more edgy, especially in America's west coast. Bands like the Count Five (Psychotic Reaction), The Seeds, The 13th Floor Elevators, Electric Prunes, Strawberry Alarm Clock, etc, there are too many to name. These bands could be viewed as a type of proto-punk.

The album Sgt. Pepper was the result of Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds".

The Beatles were not the first psychedelic band, they simply followed the trend.
Update: Yes, but you could say they had a "psychedelic" phase. I have seen numerous Beatles fans even say they created the first psychedelic song.