Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 6 months ago

I recently adopted a new kitten?

So I basically adopted a new kitten today. I have another kitten that I adopted 3months ago and he s a total sweet heart! Today I have a 2month old little kitten female (the one I adopted today) My male kitten is being friendly and sharing his food and toys with her but she keeps hissing at him when he gets close. Is this a sign where I should just give her away or give them some time? I never own kittens before and I wouldnt know what to do. They wont fight or anything she s just hissing at him when he approaches to her to play!

You just need to give them time to adjust to each other

• Anna E

Cats are very territorial and this hissing is just because the new kitty is uncomfortable. If they are not fighting, just keep an eye on them, but make sure the new kitty has a place to get away to so she can be secure. They should get used to one another and be fine eventually.

• Snowie6 months agoReport

Thank you but its the other way around, the new kitten just keeps hissing at him. All he does is want to play. He tries to groom her and she screams so loudly that I had to put my other kitten in another room. It kinda feels unfair!

• Eva

Give them time! They haven't been together for even a day yet. It may take a week for her to feel comfortable with him since he's quite a bit bigger than her.

• Snowie6 months agoReport

I will! Thank you

That's fine. Cats tend to take a while to work out the social dynamics between them.

Normally, when introducing a new cat to the house, it's generally considered best to lock the new cat in a room where they can't directly interact, and put something with the scent of the other cat(s) in the room with them. Leave the situation like this for about a week. They will likely investigate each other through the crack under the door, which is fine, as it lets them get more used to each other without allowing a real confrontation.

• Snowie6 months agoReport

but thank you for the info! I'll do my best to keep them both comfy :) I will provide updates!!!

• audrey

It could take weeks for them to get used to each other. Just don't leave them unsupervised until they calm down. Don't worry. It will all be good. 😼

• Snowie6 months agoReport

Will do! Thank you

maybe your kitten will stop doing that when she gets more used to her