Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 6 months ago

Help! My heat pump will not turn off. Do I leave it alone and let it be or do I?

turn off the unit from the inside thermostat and turn the fan to off? It has white frost on the lines out side. I did have 4 pounds of refrigerant put in four months ago. It's very hot where I live. Thanks!

Update:

No matter what I do the fan outside keeps spinning. I turned off the breaker for 10 seconds and when I turned it back on, the spinning continues.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Turn it off at the breaker and call the service man the relay switch has probably iced up and can't turn off. At any rate you don't want your compressor to freeze up and burn itself up. You could always turn it off at the breaker and let it dry ice for an hour or two and then turn it back on and back off manually until the service man can get here to fix the problem

• Login to reply the answers
  • y
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

4 lb's? If it needed that much I'm guessing it is a pretty bad leak. Which means freezing up, that limits air circulation, so that it can't cool properly, which means it will continue to run, making matters worse, until something finally dies. Turn it off, allow everything to melt, then see what you got.

• 6 months ago

Sounds like the coils may be frozen-up as well (high humidity there as well as heat?). You might try shutting the system off long enough for the coils/lines to thaw.

Unfortunately, whenever that happens at our place (Florida) it's when there's leak and loss of refrigerant......plan on calling the repairman back. (Don't ask me why the coils/lines get colder when the refrigerant is low - but they do)

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

If hot where you live then why do you have the heat pump on? I would have the AC on.

(TD, are you stupid, I have a heat pump and I can assure you it is not on right now but the AC sure is.)

• Mark
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Heat pumps both heat and cool insides of buildings.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

I would think that it was probably just the heater or the compressor failing. I'm hoping a new heater would help. If that's the case, I'll do it tomorrow.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.